Inside or out?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Where do you carry your sleeping bag?

• Total voters

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Inside! Always INSIDE - anything else is asking for trouble from snags , thorns, water, thieves etc etc.
All my kit goes inside except for hard items such as my axe.
If you cannot get it inside your pack is too small. I use 100l sacks....
Also things swinging about on the outside upset your balance/rythem an make you tired faster.
One of the saddest things I have seen in an airport is a rucksack coming up at luggage reclaim with a sleeping bag half out of its stuffsack spewing its entrails all over the place, well shredded!
Inside is best!

If in a backpack, then usually in a bin liner, loosely stuffed, but definitely INSIDE.

Keeping it dry, unsnagged, and like John said, the balance/rythm aspect counts too.

If not in a backpack then most likely in a dry bag / barrel... but DRY and protected always!

Only other option is inside the swagroll on the roof/back of a "ute" when travelling Down Under

Grtz Johan

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I have a Nonook and a Sabre 45, so having it inside would fill up the entire backpack. So my bag goes on the outside in a drybag.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Since I got a down bag I can get it in the bottom of my Macpac torlesse in a compression bag. The only thing on the outside is tent poles if I'm camping.

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
always inside in a plastic bag, acts as a cushion for my more fragile gear whici i back on the top. Also never want to risk sleeping in a wet sleeping bag hahaha

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
I have voted Inside, But if it is winter and I am carrying my winter down MOD dos bag then it goes outside as the room it takes up is used for more warm layers and hammock blanket etc.

But any other time I carry a Coleman dos bag and it compacts nicely and fits in the bottom of my bergan.

So we could have another vote option of "depends on which bag" or "Summer in winter out"

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Definitely inside. I hate having anything on the outside of my pack except my axe and sometimes wet clothes in the bungees.

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
If you need to strap your sleeping bag on the outside of your backpack, then i think it's time to get a bigger pack, or figure out what to leave home instead. OR get a smaller sleeping bag.
There are many arguments as to why you should not have the sleeping bag on the outside, and some of the most important have already been mentioned :)

Chester`C

Sep 6, 2007
Hull
If I choose to sleep on the floor I generally have mine outside the rucksack as I can role it inside my bivi bag with my mat then at the end of the day sling your tarp up unroll your bivi with its contents and hey presto beds ready and it always stays dry as its inside the the gortex biv :)

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Always inside for me.
Usually I wrap it inside a small rubble bag (blue type), they're thick & cheap (hmmn, reminds me of my first wife :D ) and pack nicely in the bottom part of my pack which being an 88L leaves plenty of room for other stuff.

Kev

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE