Insect Safari

Hi Everyone!

I recently took part in an entomology outing. Most of you know that Entomology is the branch of science concerned with the study of insects. The goal of our hike was to observe the amazing variety of insects that surround us every time we step outside.

I admit to never having paid much attention to insects, aside from the ones that pester me when I hike. But I was astounded by the wide array of animals living, unnoticed, right under my nose. The experience opened a new world of strange, unfamiliar animals that employed unique and unfamiliar strategies for survival.

Besides observation and collecting technique, I learned to use sweep nets, an aspirator, and insect traps. There were too many pictures to post on this thread. So here is a link to all of the pictures with explanations:

Insect Safari

Here are a few of the pictures I took on the hike.

This is a spider wasp. The technical term to describe it is, “badass”. :)

BC-spider-wasp4.jpg

This is a Mylitta Crescent butterfly. I wish I had taken a better picture of it. The orange/black combination is striking.

BC-Mylitta-Crescent-Phyciodes-mylitta.jpg

This next picture is not an insect. But Calochortus luteus (Yellow Mariposa Lilly) always strikes me as a gorgeous flower. Apparently, its bulb is edible. However, nobody I know eats it because the flower is rare now. This is mostly due to habitat destruction. I do not eat it either, out of respect for its rarity.

BC-Yellow-Mariposa-Lilly-Calochortus-luteus.jpg

I was pretty amazed by the variety of animals we found literally feet from the trailhead. I now realize you can find interesting wildlife anytime you want, almost any place on Earth. Has anyone else had an “insect awakening” like this?

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice pictures and write up there. It's amazing how little folk notice when they're out. Doesn't matter if it's in town or countryside if folk took time to look up, down, around and closely there are whole worlds of stuff that they normally just walk on past. Not just looking though we need to learn to use our ears and noses too.
Great pictures that Yellow Lilly is lovely and as you say the wasp looks to be serious customer.

... It's amazing how little folk notice when they're out. Doesn't matter if it's in town or countryside if folk took time to look up, down, around and closely there are whole worlds of stuff that they normally just walk on past. Not just looking though we need to learn to use our ears and noses too...

You make a great point, Goatboy. My favorite picture of the bunch is the one of the Common Buckeye (Junonia coenia) in the vial. I had seen many before, but never looked at them very closely. Until this hike I had no idea how colorful and amazing their wings were.

- Woodsorrel

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's worth investing in a pair of high quality close focus bino's. It's amazing what worlds they open up. Many people think bino's are for bringing long range objects closer, but if you use them to get closer to close range subjects, you really appreciate their importance.

It's worth investing in a pair of high quality close focus bino's. It's amazing what worlds they open up. Many people think bino's are for bringing long range objects closer, but if you use them to get closer to close range subjects, you really appreciate their importance.

I recently saw a number of people using their close focus binoculars to look at plants, herps, and insects. I should have asked to take a look to see what it was like! Missed opportunity.

JonathanD, do you own a pair of close focus binoculars? How does it compare to a hand lens or magnifying glass?

- Woodsorrel

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yes, I have some decent close focus bino's. I think they are good to 1.2 metres away. I don't use them to replace a magnifying glass as such, but they are useful for watching stuff a couple of metres away or on the ground when you are standing up as it reduces your movement and the creatures are less likely to notice you. I can watch snakes go about their business a few metres away, the bino's take me right up to them as if my face is just a foot or so away. You can pick out much more detail. The downside is, you have to get a really good pair, but Opticron do some in the £200 range.

You can reverse them and use them as a hand lens if needed too though.

Yes, I have some decent close focus bino's. I think they are good to 1.2 metres away. I don't use them to replace a magnifying glass as such, but they are useful for watching stuff a couple of metres away or on the ground when you are standing up as it reduces your movement and the creatures are less likely to notice you. I can watch snakes go about their business a few metres away, the bino's take me right up to them as if my face is just a foot or so away. You can pick out much more detail. The downside is, you have to get a really good pair, but Opticron do some in the £200 range.

You can reverse them and use them as a hand lens if needed too though.

Thank you for the information, JonathanD. I had not heard of close focus binoculars until recently. I will look at them more closely (excuse the pun) and see if I would use them often enough to make purchasing a pair worthwhile.

- Woodsorrel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE