Insect ID - any ideas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I walked into my kitchen just now and found this little guy sitting on the wall.
Obviously it's a grasshopper or cricket of some kind but I've not seen any this size or with
such vivid colour before.
It's body is about the size of a 'AAA' battery and it's a much brighter green than the photo
would suggest.
Any ideas?

DSCF0213.jpg

Here she is a little closer up.

DSCF0214.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality pics - I'm still getting used to the camera.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
My guess is the Speckled Bush Cricket (Leptophyes punctatissima) Flightless, lives among nettles and brambles, vry hard to spot. Quite common in rural gardens, song, a weak scratching sound, difficult to detect. :eek:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Certainly female (note the ovipositor at the back). I would go with Great Grenn Bush Cricket if its that big since a AA battery is 46mm long and so is a Great Green ;)

Red

K

Karr

I agree with speckled bush cricket, check out their nymphs. People use bat detectors to help find these, as Dave said, very hard to detect in the cover.

Regards Sparrow.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaah - either way tis a pretty thing I have problems with my As too. I have been accused of not knowing them from my elbows :D

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I'm following the rest with great green bush cricket. These can occasionally grow big. I was hostelling in Wales a few years back and woke in the middle of the night with one sat on my wall - it was so big that I thought a bat had got in in the night. http://www.countryside-trust.org.uk/edge/edgecricket.htm says they can grow up to 5cm! We get smaller ones near my house - for some strange reason I've had to move a few from our bathroom. Why they go up there is a mystery to me - we certainly have no brambles in there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE