Innovation in Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I think the biggest innovation has to be this site,Lets face it we are only doing what people were doing thousands of years ago.The difference is we use the materials that are available to us,whereas thousands of years ago they used...........................any one care to finish the sentence?

If it wasn't for this site I'd still be camping and thinking I was very bushy . A mine of useful information and friendly people all of a similar mindset. This site is definitley the best innovation

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Without searching for the original links, is it not the use of a chain as a pot-hanger ? Allowing more and easier height adjustment than is afforded by several hours of whittling.

So, in summary so far :
- At number one, Tony (aka the Internet, aka the Moot, aka teaching in general)
- At number two, Wayland (aka the King of Hobos)
- Fabrics: ventile, merino, and the breathable plastics (extending this to tents, bivis, etc.)
- Metals and ceramics: water purifiers, the Kelly kettle, firesteels, gas lighters
- Electronics: GPS, mobile phone (and, via spacecraft, accurate maps)

I'm still interested to hear about any more "nice idea !" moments :
- The "Evenk" hitch
- The Hoodoo hone
- Tinder preparation
Don't keep them to yourselves !

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Eh? Oh, the other one!

The "Wayland chain" - this is probably one that I've missed. Can anyone fill me in on this please?

Chris

I guess I'll have to do that.

First of all I didn't give it that name, I can't remember who it was but it was one of the Caledonians I think.

It is a simple piece of light chain with a hook on each end. I keep one in my billy for hanging the pot over the fire.

Because there is a hook at each end one can be used to wind around and hook onto a tripod or cross bar and the other end can be put through the bail arm of the pot and the hook used to lift or lower the pot by hooking into different parts of the chain.

I hope that explanation is OK because I don't think I've got a picture anywhere.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
... if not an “innovation” then something that has contributed massively to the “distribution of knowledge”, would have to be this site. Without it, I’d say half of us would still be stumbling about in the dark. Reliant on reading books and re-watching reruns from the big four experts.
The concept of a bushcrafting moot, comes pretty close second, again it is one thing reading about it, and a whole different world being shown it or watching it ‘live’
I learnt more about making something as simple as a feather stick from watching Mors for half an hour than I have from reading/a re-reading, the books and threads on the subject.

Absolutely.

I would only add that the one handed Falconers is a better hammock knot than the Evenk at least in the jungle or wherever you need another hand free. And it was pioneered on BCUK!

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Having wandered back onto the Internet after a long spell in the real world, and seen someone wrapping bogroll onto his firesteel, I'm shamelessly resurrecting this thread.

Does anyone have any more 'innovative' top tips ? Techniques that you've picked up from this site, that have made your life that little bit easier ?

I'm planning to pester my trees this winter; and, having got a rope and a book on arborism, have been impressed with the Blake's hitch (which I'd missed in the hammock discussions).

So, what else is new ?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I had a though watching "Man on Earth" the other night.

It seemed to suggest that Homo Sapiens adapted better to changing climate conditions than Neanderthals because they had much wider communication and trade links.

Seems to me that that is exactly what the internet and sites like this have created for us.

All we have to do is keep talking.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Hammocks (& associated gear). Until I started hammocking about 3 or 4 years ago, all the tips and tricks were really just variations on a theme. I feel that now, sleeping above ground, is more than just a minor variation. It's a whole new 'shelter system' and much more comfortable, once you get past the initial steep learning curve.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
What are the recent innovations (if any) in Bushcraft ?

I'd say the availability and dissemination of information on the subject.

Closely followed by the growth of interest/awareness at every level, and the inevitable commercialization which follows an interest/activity from fad to mainstream.

Perhaps its only the given names for the people skills which change, First Nation, Woodsman etc, and the technological developments such as flint to ferro-rod and birchbark or skins to titanium.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE