innertube ? why ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Ideal for emergency use only IMHO, It's not exactly 'green' so personally I would only ever use it in a real life or death situation.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Robbi
Its all camping after all - your level of self imposed hardship is up to you

Love it! One could argue that using a shop bought knife (forged elsewhere with metals smelted by other means) could also go against the grain if you're going to the extremes. After all we should be using knapped flints, obisidian shards or ground antler horns to do all our cutting.... ;)

I will certainly ponder that when snug in my synthetic sleeping bag, insulated by the latest space age sleep mat having eaten a meal cooked on something that's been cut out of stainless steel with a laser.

Like Red said - it's all about comfort levels.

pwb

I did a bit of experimenting the other day and found that if sliced really finely bike innertube can eventually be ignited with a firesteel.
It takes twenty or so good showers of sparks though :campfire:.

As the others say, also really handy as rubber bands for holding things together and tins closed etc :), as well as fire starting.

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
I've also got a piece of roofing felt tucked into the bottom of my match case, got a piece of inner tube in the bottom of my zippo case or wrapped around my clipper lighter

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
......got a piece of inner tube in the bottom of my zippo case or wrapped around my clipper lighter

if you get a piece of innertube and put it around your zippo lighter so that it seals the gap between the body of the lighter and the lid it does a really good job of stopping the fuel evaporating. it makes a zippo into an almost fool proof means of making fire.

stuart

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Doesn't last as long, doesn't seem to get as hot, and it's messy and needs to be kept wrapped up and it goes soft and kind of runny in warm weather and leaches out through anything except a really good screw lid. Rubber inner tube is just simple.

cheers,
Toddy

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Another use for it I've used for donkeys years is to straighten fishing line when it kinks, pull the line through a small piece of rubber and yer straight, sorted.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Apart from Firelighing you can use bits of inner tube to hold things togeather; they are like rubber bans but are a lot stonger if you cut them 1/2" or wider. I use them to hold things togeather tightly & they have the double use of being a good wet weather firestarter; it's the thing to have with you in Jungles, acording to Raymondo & many others. As they weigh nearly nothing it's a clever thing to have a few bits scattered around your kit. I have some in my fire kit but also at the bottom of pockets in my pack, a few bits in a pocket at the top of my brew kit etc..

The US survival guys call them Ranger Bands, as they are used by the US Army Rangers (AFAIK). You can also make a good survival kit out of them by putting a thicker (MTB) inner tube over a kydex sheath & then slip things under the rubber to hold them in position. I think it was Pod (?) has has a good jungle survival kit combo made like this.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
Hmm this thread is perfect timing for me, I got a screw through my vespa tyre last week. When I eventually pull the wheel apart, I'll make up bands and bits from the inner tube :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE