Inner tube moccasins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Yngve Cymric

May 25, 2020
Wales
I’m eyeing up a tractor inner tube laid down, discarded and as I prefer moccasin I figure that I’ll purloin a section and see if I can make some more weather tigh footwear.
Anyone else tried this?

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've only ever tried tiremocs but i've thought about trying these at some point

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I didn't even know these were a thing :)

I knew about tyre flip-flops, but those are blasted uncomfortable things. Moccasins though; those are lovely to wear.

Interested to hear how you get on with this :)

Reactions: wookii

Yngve Cymric

May 25, 2020
Wales
I have a pair Masai tyre sandals and they’re good, very clever heels.

Back to the moccasins, I figure that if I glue a layer of leather to what would become the sole, split side out, I can have the inside grippiness of foot on leather and a rubber outer, maybe the same on the uppers, I’m currently keeping a eye out for a book of my late father’s I think there was a hi top woodland moccasin pattern it, shame he’s not around he was a harnessmaker

Reactions: Bishop

Yngve Cymric

May 25, 2020
Wales
I’ve spent the afternoon making one of the ugliest moccasin seen, used a pattern from my old Bernard Mason book ( the soft soled plains type) and the shape and sizing needs work but in material working terms tractor inner tube seems to behave like leather.
I’d love to post a photo but old phone is playing up.
A woodland style is up next and then I can put a pair on and test them

I have a pair Masai tyre sandals and they’re good, very clever heels.

sorry for going :offtopic:, but if you're at some point are able to post a pic or two i'd be interested... given my limited budget and the quality of footwear here i'm tinkering with the idea of making tyre sandals. unfortunately most tyres these days are wire reinforced, making them tricky to cut and all what i found on youtube searching this subject involved leather and/ or materials hard to come by or to pricey.... :-(

Last edited:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
sorry for going :offtopic:, but if you're at some point are able to post a pic or two i'd be interested... given my limited budget and the quality of footwear here i'm tinkering with the idea of making tyre sandals. unfortunately most tyres these days are wire reinforced, making them tricky to cut and all what i found on youtube searching this subject involved leather and/ or materials hard to come by or to pricey.... :-(
Look for "huarache" sandals, made from the tread or side of the tyre. Tread is cut off from the belt so even if it is steel it does not matter.

I have a few pairs I have made from flat fabric reinforced rubber (4mm), slightly thicker ones would be better on rough ground. I think the ones I have seen Mexican "indians" use are about 10mm or slightly thicker, apparently depending on the type of tyre used.

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
I didn't even know these were a thing :)

I knew about tyre flip-flops, but those are blasted uncomfortable things.
They are for beginners. A true artful bodger can make flip-flop tyres. :)

mER6y8Y.jpg

Look for "huarache" sandals, made from the tread or side of the tyre. Tread is cut off from the belt so even if it is steel it does not matter.

I have a few pairs I have made from flat fabric reinforced rubber (4mm), slightly thicker ones would be better on rough ground. I think the ones I have seen Mexican "indians" use are about 10mm or slightly thicker, apparently depending on the type of tyre used.
how do they cut them?! steel reinforced tyres are a quick way to ruin any knife....
everything i've found so far on youtube about making huaraches involved either leather soles or store-bought vibram (or other fancy materials not available to me) :-(

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Examine some old fashioned rubber car mats.

Im sure your local garage or breakers will let you have a few.

(She never buys new car mat sets...)

Cutting the belt off. These people seem very good at using fairly primitive knives to totally take tyres apart. A jig saw might work at some stages.

Good knife using practice anyway. :)
thanks for that link :)
old tyres are sadly not hard to come by (=in all the trash illegally dumped in the area) and i know where i saw a motorbike tyre in fairly good condition -- if its still there next time i happen to go past i'll "harvest" a piece. apart from one example made from bicycle tyres and paracord i've never seen them "in the flesh" and my own experiments in the past were rather unsuccessful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE