Inner tree bark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi all,i,ve just been re-reading some of my books and was wondering if anyone had tried the inner bark of some trees as food or as flour.

Most of the books say it is just about edibile without any prep. but its supposed to be better if, you boil then roast it and grind it up for flour or porridge.It,s also a good source of carbohydrate by all accounts.

I realize it would be more for the survival situation than the bushcraft.

Oh i know about Heart of Palm and Sago being used in the jungle,but i was thinking more about temperate zone trees i,e
BIRCH
ASPEN
POPLAR
SPRUCE
WILLOW
PINE
MAPLE
So has anyone tried or are thinking of having a go with it?

Your thoughts please.

Nearly forgot,by the way i have,nt tried it myself yet.

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
I don't know about these trees, but as far as I am concerned, bushcraft is about living off the land as much as possible, including food, so I wouldn't class this just as survival, but as part of bushcraft

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I have tried Birch and I can see why it was an emergency thing!!

I friend of mine made flour from Cattail roots but her general opinion was it is was more effort than it was worth.

T

Tekeeler

stuart f said:
BIRCH
ASPEN
POPLAR
SPRUCE
WILLOW
PINE
MAPLE

This is just a knowledge of trees. Havent tried any of it myself. Birch I would guess would be ok, and Maple too i suppose if you could get any. You would be far better going for sap off both of these obviously time of year permitting.

Poplar and Willow spp especially Goat Willow have very slimy inner barks so I really wouldnt recommend it. Pine and Spruce. I guess this would be ok. Dont try Larch or Hemlock cos you will end up a bit poorly.

I have tried Chestnut bark and that really isnt too bad. Sweet not Horse.

Of all the trees you find in this country I would reckon Sweet Chestnut and probably some Cedar trees, especially Western Red Cedar would be the best. And if it dosn't work you will always have the outer bark as good kindling.

I will have a go at it time permitting in the next couple of weeks and let you know.

Chris

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Maple family inc. sycamore are about the best, willow is very bitter indded but has useful medical properties. I'd guess that apsen being similar medicinaly would also be extremely bitter.

Realgar

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
This link is from a Swedish guy's survival site that Viking posted the other day:

Bark Bread

It gives you instructions on how to make bread out of pine bark - which presumably could be applied to any other tree who's inner bark is edible.

No idea what it might taste like though! :yuck:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE