Ink! ( the skin kind )

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I have several (being an ex soldier) on my arms and chest - I am thinking of having a athabaskan bear image (like the one above) tattooed on my chest but whether I'll get round to it is another thing I suppose!!

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
I'm seriously thinking of another one, but now the long process begins of exactly what image, and where!

I think maybe for Christmas, as a pressie to myself?

:shock:

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I have a black rose which is peircing a heart on my right shoulder. I liked it at the time, and still do, because it symbolised a lot of things in life. Beauty, love, pain and a dark touch.

I do have an urge to get another but not got round to it yet. I have always quite fancied having "Made in Scotland" round my belly button. Only trouble is I am a little concerned that as I get older the text may move up a size or two.

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
Realgar said:
I'd like to get something small done the old way - any one know what the suitable pigments are?, I'm guessing fine ground charcoal for black and a really really sharp piece of my ivory. Uh, disclaimer - If I do try this one ( which is idiotic ) I will be asking a professional tatooist to assist, it takes me 4-6 months to settle on design for the next bit. Kids don't start arsing around with biros and compass needles you'll get badly infected and probably develop a reaction to the ink.

Realgar

Realgar,

A tattoo artist mate of mine has experimented with various 'old' methods including sharks teeth, flint and bone 'combs' and using things like woad and charcoal paste as ink. He has only had limited success. apparantly these pigments don't bind properly, woad being the worst. He has had to do a few cover-ups over the scars the experiments left, but fortunately they were only small.

Disclaimer: Again, kids DO NOT do this at home. My friend is an experienced tattoo artist, with access to recources such as autoclaves with which to clean his equipment. he is also aware of where to mark the body and how deep to go. If you try this, you WILL hurt yourself, you WILL get an infection and you stand a good chance of getting septaseamia (blood poisoning).

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
EdS said:
Realgar,

That one place to keep your flying potion recipe where you'll not loose it!

Flying ointment? Who? Me? what would I know about a thing like that?
Now where did I put my goggles and scarf.....

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
If you've come up with a design for yourself, what do you do then? Do you just take it to your chosen tattoists and they do the transfer bit?

I've never designed one myself so I'm not sure what the next step is.

And do they charge extra if you bring in your own design?
:?:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
You know the little dragon on Glengette tea? Thats the one that interests me :eek:):

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Actually, seeing a tattooist's reaction to your own design might be a good test of whether you want to trust him with your skin :yikes:

I got recommendations from friends, both virtual and actual, and looked for real examples of their work before going to a tattooist

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
That would have been a main concern, what if he messed it up ? :shock:

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
I have a couple of tattoists that I/friends have been to before. I wouldn't go to anywhere new.

Not the kind of thing you want to take a chance with!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Just remember everybody thinking of getting one, never to tatoo any names! :roll: I hope I don't have to explain why. :shock:

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Sound advice.

Also always check the symbol you choose i.e Japanese, really says what it's meant to say. Who wants 'chicken chow mein' on their shoulder,

or the name of their beloved that reads...pot hole...or something.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
The bassist in the phonics has "Richard" (his name) on his neck :roll:....urr....just in case.... :?: :roll:

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Kim said:
Sound advice.

Also always check the symbol you choose i.e Japanese, really says what it's meant to say. Who wants 'chicken chow mein' on their shoulder,

or the name of their beloved that reads...pot hole...or something.

Or indeed 'this man is a fool' as I've seen once - I had to trust him on the translation, shame he trusted the person who wrote it down. One tattoist I passed in Barnstaple has on it's exampes photo board someone who had *astard ( with the missing letter ) in five inch gothic letters across his stomach. Why???????

Boaty said:
Actually, seeing a tattooist's reaction to your own design might be a good test of whether you want to trust him with your skin

Jade usualy rolls her eyes, sighs and gets out the tracing paper to the tune of 'do you realise this is going right over your collar bone' and later 'ooh, sorry, sorry, that looks sore'

I've got a scene with a Wyvern carrying off a girl with a village in flames and a castle in the background being attacked by several other dragons and wyverns on my right arm. I wanted one for years, but always said it would be just the one.

Honest Mum.

Now I have plans for one on my left arm which will consist of a one off made up from a couple of comic characters I collect, and also a large dragon to go on my back.

Addictive personality, me?? surely not :roll:

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
I have 1 at the moment which is the English rose on the top of my left arm to mark my country of birth. I am getting a new one tomorrow which is a heart formed by two snakes in a celtic style to honour my love for my wife and to mark my celtic family links.
Remember, they are for life and they are addictive!! :roll: :eek:):

Taz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE