Ingram #4 Wharncliffe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Many of you know I am an amateur leather braider. I am always looking for a knife that just fits me while working with leather. This has come to mean a very sharp small knife. Well, my latest acquistion to satisfy this "need" is a 2.5" Ingram #4 Wharncliffe. I ask Gene for a leatherworking knife that would be super sharp, pointy, and handy in the hand. This is what we settled on.

Ingram4.jpg

This was done on a 14" wheel so it is slightly hollow, in S30V and with some old weathered Elk antler for scales. Gene sent this on trial....I think I will be buying it. :biggthump

Apparently Gene made one of these a few months back and it warped in heat treat. So he wrapped it in paracord and gave it to the local pawn shop. They use if for everything from opening boxes to pulling staples. Gene has checked it a few times and found it still sharp with a few nicks from the staples at the tip. Apparently it just keeps cutting.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Hmm, more of Gene's wonderful work :wink:

From the description, I think my Kasumi 3" Damascus kitchen knife might be good for that job too.

B0000CGGGD.01-A2DP5CQZ04OW4G.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

High carbon stainless core, 59RC, damascus clad, stabilised wood scales and very pointy. So if I've got the knife, better get some leather :)

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Schewert

I do like the handles and the knife itself looks great. Gene must really enjoy doing these new projects for you. Now you need to think of the next one.

Bill

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Thanks guys. I will have to use this for a bit to see about wet handling etc. Gene sent me a picture of this massive set of old Elk antlers he picked up from some fellow who had had them a long time. He split the material with David Winston another maker in Starkville (who looks to make some wonderful knives too). I saw one of Winston's knives in that antler and knew I had to get one from Gene.

That Kasumi really looks like a winner. Alick, how about some more information on that.

As we go into hunting season, Gene gets pretty booked. Right now his delivery schedule is probably around 8-10 weeks but can vary. One thing about Gene, if he says the knife will ship on a certain day, it ships on or before that day. Every single knife I have from him arrived either right on schedule or a bit before.

This wharncliffe is a semi-test knife. Gene wants feedback on its durability as this S30V is very thin in this one. I will be using it for a variety of things to see just how well it works and holds up. Leather work like I do will not be stressful enough, so I am going to carry this daily and use for everything.

This is my 9th Ingram I think, and I have 2 more on order....so an Ingram nut I be.

I have thought of the next project...actually Gene thought of the next project and I think it is going to be fun. More details next week.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE