inginuity forthe forthcoming midlands meet!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Well, most woods have got them, a corner which seems to have collected junk over the years or (as in this case) the remains of some sort of dwelling long since reclaimed by the trees.

It's been bothering me a little that ground fires aren't really allowed at the meet, (you can have them at a push but need to clear up impeckably when you're done) this coming weekend, I'm not sure a hobo stove would kick out much heat but I'd like a small fire near me for warmth, cooking and the pleasure of having one.

BUT, on my bimble today, I think I may have solved this problem! I found an old metal bin lid and what I can only assume was once the top of a bucket or rim of a sieve. The binlid sat on top of this "ring" provides a pan in which to build my fire about 3" off the ground :D

I don't think it'll leave any mark on the ground, Hopefuly it won't get through too much fuel either. So, as long as no-one's got any problems with me using it, I'll have my own little fire on the go :D

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
This is what I used at the last Midlands Meet... total cost £3 :)

14-1.jpg

15-1.jpg

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
that looks a lot more upclass than mine wallenstein, similar idea though. The beauty of mine is it's simply a tray to build a fire in, it's got no holes so no mess. Saying that though, yours looks much better for cooking on. Great minds think alike!

that looks a lot more upclass than mine wallenstein, similar idea though. The beauty of mine is it's simply a tray to build a fire in, it's got no holes so no mess. Saying that though, yours looks much better for cooking on. Great minds think alike!

Hi NR
I wouldn't worry about any mess regarding the fire. you only have to chuck some new earth over any scorch marks and sprinkle with leaves.
I think the site owners are only worried incase folk leave a half burnt mess with cans and bottles in it etc.

if you want to travel lighter and not bring your bin lid I would dig a shallow fire pit and when finished, just let your fire burn to dust, soak with water and clean up with your boots.

HTH:)

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Bodge, I thought that would be the case but seeing as I'll be in my car anyway, it'll mean I can just tip the ash somewhere sensible - and it didn't cost anything.

Thanks though, good point.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
It is surprising just how much heat radiates downward from a raised fireplace. 3 inches won't be enough. It will scorch the grass below, and probably kill it. Even 6 inches isn't enough to keep from leaving a long-lasting "brown" spot on grass.

At certain living history camps/events, I use a traditional square Braizier for for cooking on - especially where an open fire pit is not allowed. It is 8 inches square, and around 8 inches tall. It does have an iron bottom plate, with 2 inch legs beneath it. But in use, I put it on a couple fire bricks. I have made and used ones with 6 inch tall legs beneath them. They still radiate enough heat downward to scorch grass or a wood table top - especially when you burn it a long time.

So you will need some sort of ... heat shield ... beneath your fire pan. Waylands shows a heat shield beneath his. And it has a couple inches of air gap beneath it also. That shield and air gap will help protect the grass/ground underneath your fire pan. Those two bowls/pans will still heat/kill the grass beneath it -- unless you have it setting on several rocks or bricks and have some air flowing through under it.

It does not take much heat to kill or damage grass and its roots. Just setting your hot frypan down on the grass will leave a "brown" spot that will be visible for weeks until the grass grows back out. But that brown grass spot may not show up for several days. If your frypan is really hot, it will show up pretty quickly, but otherwise it might take days.

Simple rule: If it is too hot to hold your hand down at ground level beneath your raised fire pit, then it will damage the grass and its roots.

Nice ideas, but just a start.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. I know one Scottish Highlander group who always cook on braiziers on top of their wood tables. Their braiziers have legs 6 to 8 inches high. But they also have round deeply scorched circles on those tables - from the heat radiating downward. Yes, they almost always forget to bring along a couple bricks to set on the table first - to then set the braiziers on top of. Once a year they just make new table tops.

p.p.s. They are generally burning lump charcoal in their braiziers - but occasionally charcoal briquettes. On very rare occasions, they will be feeding it with sticks.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
If you get hold of an old 5 gal oil drum (local chippy have loads), just cut it in half and bore a few holes in it, then mount it onto some metal legs about a foot long and you have a perfect brazier. If you chuck an old cooker oven shelf on top you can cook on it too. You can burn wood or charcoal or whatever you like.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Fair do's, I'll put some legs on it, I'd imagine I'll be using it in woodland so shouldn't be so noticable and I could always scrape a patch to sit it in and just replace the scrapings when I'm done.

Thanks for the warning though, at least I'll have time to do something about it.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Good advice Mike.

In this instance grass scorch won't be too much of an issue. The ground is pretty much as these pics of Wallenstein's show:

14-1.jpg

15-1.jpg

You'll just need to scrape away loose stuff and not site it on surface roots.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I usually dry firewood under my firetray.

The plywood circle under the pan is there for if there is no wood left to put underneath.

It can also be raised up on some stones so I can grill stuff underneath with the heat of the fire.

Did a pizza under there once by stacking the firewood round the edges to keep the heat in.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I usually dry firewood under my firetray.

The plywood circle under the pan is there for if there is no wood left to put underneath.

It can also be raised up on some stones so I can grill stuff underneath with the heat of the fire.

Did a pizza under there once by stacking the firewood round the edges to keep the heat in.

Very ingenious - my compliments

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE