inflatable kayaks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Stearns Backcountry is a nice little boat, more canoe shape than most, I'm not sure if they're still around but it's worth a look.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If I needed a "space saver" boat I'd buy an Ally. The prices are now nicely comparable with new royalex (no longer in production) boats and in my experience they paddle extremely well, much better than any inflatable I've tried.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I paddled briefly with a guy on Loch Lomond one day who was in a Pointer K2.
http://www.inflatable-kayaks.co.uk/canoes-kayaks/sevylor/pointer.htm
Had we not both been fully loaded I'd have likely tried to hustle a shot, was impressed by it's turn of speed.
Wasn't 'till we were within blethering distance that I even realised it was an inflatable.

He was doing the same as I do these days with the MacGregor - using a wee rucksack as a backrest. Looked the part.

Of the few inflatables I've tried:

The Sevylor Tahiti was cheap and handy but short so slow, the rough cover slowed it even more and they're impossible to recommend as out of the four I've known all four have blown along the same seam.

The Colorado is also short but it's wide enough to sit higher in the water. The width has it's good sides(you can kneel comfortably if you like and it's rock-solid stable) and it's not-so-good sides(mainly that it's quite a shallow and sweeping paddle stroke you end up using - you can't quite put in the same power as with narrower boats).
If I was after a WW river runner I'd be tempted by the Colorado, it had a take-on-anything feel to it.

The Gumotex Palava was pretty sleek, the bow design was more efficient than either of the Sevylors and it cut through the water nicely. I only had a quick spin while it's owner was having a shot of the Pack but it left a good impression.
Only thing I wasn't fond of was how tight together my knees were. If I was using one I'd probably ditch the seats and kayak it most of the time.

P.S. Meant to mention, the build quality of the Tahiti is quite a lot lower than the Colorado. I'd hope at the price that the Colorado wouldn't suffer from the same dodgy welding on the side cells.

Last edited:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Colorado seems to have everything I'm after, I think it regularly gets recommended and reviews high! I can also take the missus with me (if I have to)

Try and get your hands on an 8' paddle if you can. The usual Sevylor paddles are just over 7' and are a little short for the Tahiti, let alone the wider Colorado.

Some pics on this thread of Andy's Colorado on a jaunt we had a few years ago(to put you in the mood :) ). There's also a shot part-way down that shows the width difference between the sevylors.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38622

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
Been a few days, managed to find a few things to sell on ebay so should be paddling by the spring.

quick question, what its the difference between the standard and pro versions of the sevylor kayaks. both the rio and the Colorado/sirocco seem to be available in pro versions?

ringonotts

Dec 23, 2011
Basingstoke
I've got a stearns back country and it is fantastic for what it is. It is of the same build as the Colorado but I got it 2nd hand off eBay :)
I stored it on the back of my camper van and the whole family used it on our tour of France last summer. It takes 15 minutes to inflate (if that) and because it wasn't any hassle I used it a lot.
The seats on all of these (my friend has a Hudson and it's the same) are not the best - for long durations they tend to collapse. However, as previously mentioned they are easy to modify with a rucksack or something. Personally I leave the seat out and kneel in it like a canoe - really stable.
They aren't as good as a ridged canoe - but the fact they are so easy to use makes up for it I think. They definitely serve a purpose. For me, I can't afford the space for a Canadian canoe, so it's an inflatable or nothing. I wouldn't use it in remotely dangerous conditions though!

Enjoy, Ringo

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I looked at buying a colorado early on last year, but never got round to it. From what i remember, the difference between standard and premium is the type of valve used on the floor.
My head ended up scrambled as there are so many choices out there, but the colorado always seemed the most well known and liked.

My other choices would of been

https://www.kingofwatersports.com/i...-tango-2-man-inflatable-kayak-red-i25852.html

https://www.kingofwatersports.com/i...-2-man-inflatable-kayak-blue-copy-i19586.html

The 2nd is slightly bigger, and i think it is the same as the one Tepee mentioned above. I think i was leaning more towards one of these, but I was put off of these two as i couldnt seem to find anywhere online selling spare bladders, though probably if you phoned up a store they could get them.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
Ok nearly got my savings ready...

Just about to buy the sevylor colorado - I've managed to get a deal on a colorado for £230 paddle and pump will be £50 so around £270

Then I found this...

http://www.hydroforceboats.co.uk/product/8/hydro_force_kayak_ventura_bw65052

I can get one with paddle and pump for £199.

Opinions needed - I'm crap at parting with my money - Should I fork out the extra for the sevy? or go with the ventura?

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
well, I was originally looking at the pointer which is similar to the dragonfly, and the dragonfly was on my wishlist. The Colorado took my fancy because I could lump gear in it, but its a big hefty thing...
I got a bargain on the dragonfly. If the missus wants to come with I may have to buy a Colorado eventually :rolleyes:

M4tt_1

Nov 25, 2013
Newark, Notts
Congrats TP looks great. I've had an Alpaka on my daydream list for ages but so much ££££!
Would be interested to hear your review of the Dragonfly.

Where you planning paddling? I walked the dogs along the Witham at the weekend and thought at the time a paddle up to Lincoln and train back to Newark would be a good day.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
not got it wet yet, but it inflates in about three minutes, its built like a tank and small enough to carry to hard to reach water. I've just got to rig the bag as a rucksack.

I'm going to have to buy a bigger boat to do more than one night.

I plan to paddle in Scotland soon!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE