Inexpensive trangia alternative

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
this is an example of a halacon stove otherwise known as an old drinks can!

do not buy it!!!
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

check if you can make one yourself, otherwise $15 is alot for an old aluminum drinks can!
unless all the gear comes with it if so still a bit on the expensive side!

drinks can stove= 50p ($1) metal mug ?(who knows! could be a walmart special.), plastic bottle$? led light $1 micro radio$1
it is a compact kit but all those items can be found elsewhere for less money, i suspect the bottle used to be for cosmetics or travel soap!

i made myself one in an hour or so, very easy as long as you have the recommended tools....a penknife!
mine works as well as a trangia, difficult to turn off! as there is no lid but you can make one with silverfoil!

the whole kit seems to be with ultra lightwieght camping in mind, as i say check the gear out it all looks very cheap! :wink:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Thanks Rappleby and Johnboy for your responses. They are very much appreciated. Lots of good information on the review link and it appeared that the tester had good thoughts on the homemade stoves.

I agree that I could probably make one and maybe even keep it at or under their price including all the accessories. I'm just not wanting a pepsi can stove. The one featured is of stouter material according to the write-up, which stated it was 2.5 times thicker than a soda can. But still, I respect your opinions on the matter, so maybe I'll consider the Westwind then. I can pick one up with burner and fuel bottle for about the same price, it just won't have the windscreen and small pot.

Actually, even though I would be playing with the alcohol stove over a couple of outings so that I can get a good feel for this type of burner, I am buying it so that I can help a friends wife put together a survival pack for her family. I originally thought about the Esbit, which I use anyways, but she has used an alcohol style of stove when she was younger and was on outings with her father. It makes me feel good that she asked me, because I've tried to get her husband to put some stuff aside for "just in case" and he dismissed it all and after talking with him about it, I guess his wife has decided to take over his responsibilities. I'll put all the basics into the pack and let her customize it to their needs. I also plan on putting together a list of other gear that their family may need, as well as help her to put together a list of food, medical and water needs inside the home.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
RA, have a look here: www.brasslite.com

I bought a Turbo I model from the clearance sale (about $18, if I recall) and it's excellent. Brought a full Sierra cup to the boil in under four minutes and is very sturdy: apparently it can support up to twenty pounds, although I don't think I'll ever try it. It even features a reasonable simmer feature (not outstanding, but workable) and a pre-warmer pan for use in cold weather.

Good grief, I just realised that I've mentioned this stove three or four times on the forum recently... Starkie, anyone?

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi RA,

I'd be wary of the 2.5 times thicker that a regular soda can claim, A lot of these stoves are made by epoxying ( gluing) two thickness of soda can together. So the claim while not untrue is a little misleading.

If you are putting together a kit for your friend for use in her home I'd check out
www.equipped.com

It's full of really useful advice and information on that sort of thing.

Cheers

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE