Industrial knives - any ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
At work we use long bladed knives for cutting a wide range of glass fibres and a load of other things too as needed. These knives will get mis-treated as it is only a few who know how to maintain the edge (and the others won't be taught). So basically I was wondering if anyone knew a source of cheap and cheerful knives about 6"-8" long blade length. We used to use what we know as leather knives and also cheap kitchen knives but they end up getting ground down to a thin sliver of a blade too quickly. Machetes were bought once as we got a good deal on a batch but can't get these again for some reason.

Anyway I know some will tell me to train the guys to maintain a good edge and the knives will last longer. That seriously won't work. If you knew the people working here you would know what I mean. Also anything too good will disappear. I did suggest some clippers from Chas Ohlson when they come up cheap but got told straight that everytime we buy a batch they will only be taken home. I know as I would too.

To give you an idea a kitchen knife gets ground down to a blade about 5mm wide in 6 months!! They still use that. We've used band saw blades in between wood scales before now which kind of worked too. Anyway cheap as chips and with a big blade so it can be ground down by a bunch of hairy arsed gorillas / muppets!!!! PS if anyone from work is on here under a nickname I'm sure they will agree with me even if they fit that description too! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE