Indian Tribe Children Buried Alive in the Amazon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
Okay just want to warn you all, this can be very hard to watch, but it is something they do I haven't looked into it why but I think the movie speaks for itself.

Again it can be quite harsh to watch.

I know the Youtube community is ripping these people to shredds but there must be a reason they are doing that, I hope that the people here who have generaly a more open outlook
on nature and all that will know why they are burring their children alive.

Actually I take the link off, I want to know if the mods are ok for me to post that link from youtube.

It seems to be from a documentary.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Revised thoughts:

I believe that the clip was created as a reconstruction, rather than actual documentary footage. It hardly seems like the kind of thing that someone would stand and film, or that the participants would want filmed. In any case, the clip is very graphic, and would not be suitable for younger members of the site.

While I think that it might be a very good reminder for some people not to over romanticise what it means to belong to an indigenous group, it is probably something that its better not to link to. There is enough information in the thread to this point that anyone who wishes to look into the issue further can find it themselves.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Actually I take the link off, I want to know if the mods are ok for me to post that link from youtube.
As long as its not copyrighted material (unless you own the copyrights) then normally youtube links are fine ..... but .... remember this is a family forum.... we have many members in the 8-13yr old bracket ..... anything you post should be suitable for this age group aswell as others.

Great to see a bit of self moderation there... well done.

:)
Ed

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
In my opinion, if you bury children alive, and leave them to die, you are among the worst scum in the world. Regardless of whether you are in some kind of tribe or living in a city.

Plenty of tribes have had horrific habits in the past, but it needs to be eliminated. We used to burn "witches" alive, thankfully we do not anymore.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
I just saw the video and it is nothing short of horrific in every way possible.

It is very graphic and for the benefit of some members on here who are young, i would strongly advise against posting any links of this nature here regardless of whether it has anything to do with Bushcraft which imo it does not.

Truly horrifying.

Having said what i just said and watching the video again, i can understand why people find it so bad, but what reason is there behind it?

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I just saw the video and it is nothing short of horrific in every way possible.

It is very graphic and for the benefit of some members on here who are young, i would strongly advise against posting any links of this nature here regardless of whether it has anything to do with Bushcraft which imo it does not.

Truly horrifying.

Having said what i just said and watching the video again, i can understand why people find it so bad, but what reason is there behind it?

Try reading this;

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/feb/08022604.html

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
WW thanks for posting that.

It was nice to read that some had survived this including the little boy who was starting school for the first time, what i still don't understand is that if so many members of the various tribes are against this, why do they allow it?

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
Yes it is a dramatisation, but very very close to the real thing, very graphic, so who ever wants to see it, it's easily found over youtube.

However, I would much rather discuss the aspect of why do tibes likes these do kill their kids? What is the reason behind it?

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
In my opinion, if you bury children alive, and leave them to die, you are among the worst scum in the world. Regardless of whether you are in some kind of tribe or living in a city.

Plenty of tribes have had horrific habits in the past, but it needs to be eliminated. We used to burn "witches" alive, thankfully we do not anymore.

I think the worse thing to do would be to intervene, we think of our civilized world as so important but we are not, we have to leave these people alone, they are interesting and
we have only a few left.
And how are you going to "police" them anyways? If they want to kill all their children they will do so, they never heard of law and order, just try to imagine they have never seen a car an airplane (up close) a computer anything like that.
And we want to make them do what we think is right just because we have the believe that every life is sacred?
Not every life is sacred.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Hmm I can see this thread quickly becoming a flame war (probably before I have even finished posting this).

however, may I suggest that before you post, be it in support or condemnation, you ponder carefully on the relevance of your opinion with regards to a way of life that you have no or at very best, possibly a 'fleeting' experience of.

watch the video if you choose and read the ‘lifesite news’ link provided by weekend_warrior but please keep in mind that an article published by an anti-abortion organisation is not going to be without strong derogatory bias on this topic.

Remember that whoever you are you are culturally conditioned to some degree and can never truly be entirely unbiased in your reaction to other cultures, especially those fundamentally different to your own.

I provide no defence or condemnation of this cultures employment of infanticide as I am in no position to do so, infanticide is or has been a part of many cultures, especially those with minimal dependence on modern technology, sometimes it serves a functional purpose, to prevent a detrimental circumstance such as famine should numbers exceed resources, or disability in a society where every individual must be capable of travelling long distances and hunting in order for all prevail. In other cases infanticide is practiced for more ambiguous reasons with little functional purpose perhaps spiritual or religious. Without a deep and meaningful understanding of a culture it’s difficult to make any constructive comment.

I offer a story in order to provide perspective on cultural conditioning, I was sat around a fire in a remote corner of Africa one evening, listening to an American man who was clearly incensed at the practice in some African tribes of cutting away the clitoral hood, and inner labia of its female members (and in some tribes, the clitoris), describing in indignant terms the "sickening and cowardly abuse of human rights"

I asked him if, like 60% of his fellow countrymen, he had been circumcised; he told me he had and I asked him what the difference was.

As far as I was concerned the difference was purely cultural, in the US they commonly circumcise men, and in some African cultures they commonly circumcise women too. Who’s right and wrong is I would suggest; simply an irrelevant matter of opinion

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
Hmm I can see this thread quickly becoming a flame war (probably before I have even finished posting this).

As far as I was concerned the difference was purely cultural, in the US they commonly circumcise men, and in some African cultures they commonly circumcise women too. Who’s right and wrong is I would suggest; simply an irrelevant matter of opinion

I really don;t want to make this a flame war, but the difference is that if you cut of the clitoris a woman (and please correct me if I'm wrong) has a hard time feeling any sexual pleasure.
there is actually no need to cut the clitoris but to false believe that if you cut if of "your" woman will not feel the need to go "astray" and cheat on you since she is has pretty much no sexual desire left.
THAT as far as I know is the main reason men (and lets be under no illusion it was defiantly a man who invented this delightful and very torturous procedure) do this to woman.

circumcise is mainly done for hygienic reasons and as far as I can tell it doesn't cripple your sexual desire or feeling one bit ;) in fact many say it's attractive and heightens the initial feeling.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Having lived in Brazil for 1/4 of my life I have seen lots of stuff that shook me to the core. I remember watching parents throwing their little 3-6 year old kids in a dumpster to get the good stuff. As you can imagine the kids were fighting in the dumpster over the best bits and then deliveing the prizes to their parents. The parents were fighting over the prizes as well because my kid had it first etc.

Street kids will kill and terrorize a neighborhood until someone pays someone else to kill a few and they move on. You don't have to travel to the darkest recesses of the Amazon to see kids being discarded like trash or abused here.

Historically infanticide has many reasons and has been practiced in many ways and is in no way relegated to animistic cultures. One thing is for sure, nobody asks the kids their opinon. Mac

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I think the point of this thread, is it raises the question
“what gives us as (insert group) the right to think our morals are better than some other group morals”
We have totally different morals, beliefs and different politics from each other (the non-political politics, the ‘social relations’ between authority and power)
Who is to say we are right? History will of course be the judge, but I can think of examples where, as westerners, we have to admit that in the past we have committed such barbarity to whole nations that we cannot point the finger of blame at others, for behaviour that we think of as morally wrong.

I’m know that there are things we have done, or do as a nation, that others think shameful and barbaric, would you like a group of outsiders telling you that it is barbaric and immoral the way we treat old people, or animals.
Would you like their will imposed against your will. I doubt it, we as a nation hate the fact that the EU attempts to impose it’s will on us, imagine if some superpower decided to impose a law un the UK that no one was allowed to educate girls.

Who is to say we are right, as after all it is only the way we have been brought up to think. Just as they have been raised to follow their own morals

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I think the worse thing to do would be to intervene, we think of our civilized world as so important but we are not, we have to leave these people alone, they are interesting and
we have only a few left.
And how are you going to "police" them anyways? If they want to kill all their children they will do so, they never heard of law and order, just try to imagine they have never seen a car an airplane (up close) a computer anything like that.
And we want to make them do what we think is right just because we have the believe that every life is sacred?
Not every life is sacred.

So you think we should just leave them to kill children as it's nothing to do with us? By that logic, we should just leave the nazi alone to kill jews, etc.

It's interesting that they kill thier children, so they should be allowed to do it? A bit ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE