Increased carving power

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
This week I rehandled my 2 mora spoon knives with thicker longer handles, and they are much improved in use.

Today I decided to have a go with one of those neck straps like what Niklas Karrlson uses on his spoon knives. If you use spoon knives at all, and havent tried out this technique, then give it a go, its very useful. The beauty of it is that you can start and stop an extremely powerful and controllable cut in an instant, and with perfect safety because you are using your upper body weight and strength to provide the momentum. There is no follow through issues. Your right hand steers the knife cut, the left positions the work in relation to the knife, and your upper torso provides the power. Very satsifying to get deep clean cuts going smoothly from one side to the other of a spoon bowl with no chatter.
http://youtu.be/XwxrzUKJcWY
cheers Jonathan :)

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
So just a plain Mora spoon knife with a very large handle and then the stringy thingy?

Might need to give that a go.

How do you think it would work in a kuksa or a bowl perhaps?

Thanks for the great idea.

Last edited:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Thanks for looking:)
So just a plain Mora spoon knife with a very large handle and then the stringy thingy?

Might need to give that a go.

How do you think it would work in a kuksa or a bowl perhaps?

Thanks for the great idea.

I have no doubt it would make kuksa or bowl carving, or indeed any situation where you need extra power and control for deeper hollowing tasks.
BTW it wasnt my idea, I just saw Niklas and other carver's using it and decided to try it for myself
Here is Niklas with his version of it (from 1.51)
http://youtu.be/gjzy96slrG4

Neal78

Dec 5, 2013
ipswich
I like it. I can see how you can get a lot more leverage especially the way the bloke in the second video uses it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE