Inari Hiking Area, Finland. Looking for info on winter travel etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I fancy a trip to Inari in Finland in March/April 2013. I'd appreciate any info you may have on this area especially concerning the usefullness of skis (or snowshoes).

Thanks in advance

Bob

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Still full winter up there in March/April, so skis would be mandatory, or at least a decent pair of snow shoes.
I guess some of the finnish guys on here will come up with more detailed info.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Also interested in Hetta, if anyone has any details I'd be glad to hear them.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Depends what exactly you want to do there. If you use the local cross-country ski tracks, then narrow cross-country skiis will fit the tracks perfectly. But if you plan to head out on your own, then a longer, wider forest ski will allow you to travel over the deep snow.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I'll be using 109mm wide skiis, too wide for loipe I think.

Yup, too wide for the pre-made ski tracks (my cross-country skiis are about half that width). But you could have some great fun cutting your own path through the countryside :) Much depends on the depth and type of the snow you will encounter. Both snowshoes and forest skiis can become quite heavy going in soft and deep snow. But if the snow has had chance to compact down and settle, then it's much easier. Also as you come into spring, it's possible to encounter the "eggshell" effect. This is where the sun warms the top surface of the snow during the day, which then freezes hard during the night. It's then possible to move over this hard crust on skiis or snowshoes with much less effort than if the snow was deep and soft.

Enjoy! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE