In the US

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Looks like I may be off to Houston, Texas for a week or two towards the end of the month for work. Its still unceratin yet but I was wondering if there is any bushcrafty stuff that I could get over there that is either cheaper or not available over here? I was looking at 5.11 trousers which appear to be cheaper over there.

Is there anything I have to watch out for with customs?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Knives and stuff will be alot cheaper and worth buying to keep and sell on! don't fancy picking up a few spyderco ukpk's and buck 110's do you? ;)

woolen clothes also will be cheaper!

You won't have an issue with customs aslong as you wrap and store any tools safely in luggage you won't be holding onto during the flight. Say they are' gifts for family' and you'll be fine.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
We were there 4yrs ago, not many Brits, so folks want to talk to you. The staff in bass pro were realy friendly & more than happy to show a variety of firearms. Visit the BBQ shack next door to the giant armadillo, the place is as rough as a badgers bum, but the food is great & cheap, George Bush senior(who lives in Houston)is a regular customer. Also the New york deli great food.

Dunno about bushy stuff, i was to busy eating !, there was a gun show on, but we had to come home.

Great place & people, hope you enjoy yourself.

Rob

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Personally I'd spend at least half my time at a gun range enjoying the freedom to shoot some targets. I believe many ranges cater to foreign visitors offering under-instruction shooting and gun rentals.

Of course, you can't bring those home ;)

I have been to Houston twice before but never really bothered with anything as I was on training courses and didn't have much time or was interested in other things. But we did try a gun range and got turned away as they don't cater for foreigners. Bit disappointed at the time.

Would love to try and do it this time.

One thing I am looking forward to is going back to Outback the steakhouse......mmmmmm...now that was lovely.

I probably won't be driving though....too scared to try it unless I have someone in the car with me who can help. Plus last time I was there I saw a horrible accident on the freeway. I will be based on the West side of the city this time.

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
We were there 4yrs ago, not many Brits, so folks want to talk to you. The staff in bass pro were realy friendly & more than happy to show a variety of firearms. Visit the BBQ shack next door to the giant armadillo, the place is as rough as a badgers bum, but the food is great & cheap, George Bush senior(who lives in Houston)is a regular customer. Also the New york deli great food.

Dunno about bushy stuff, i was to busy eating !, there was a gun show on, but we had to come home.

Great place & people, hope you enjoy yourself.

Rob

+1 on the Bass Pro shops over there
Simply awesome, you can lose yourself for hours in them
Much cheapness too :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
-If you get a chance, go to a gun show. Not only will you enjoy the array of guns, there will usually be a wide selection of sharps on sale that you can take back home.

-Try a good BBQ and a good Mexican retaurant; as well as a good catfish restaraunt (preferably one with "all-you-can-eat."

-Don't just try the local bars, remember to buy and take back your favorite spirits (tequila, rum, whatever) and wines, up to the limits HM customs will allow (and get them in houston proper, NOT in the airport duty free shops as the airport prices will inevitably be higher)

-Don't forget to check out the hats at the local western wear shops.

-Take in a rodeo.

-Gotta go now. I'll add more later.

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
+1 on the Bass Pro shops over there
Simply awesome, you can lose yourself for hours in them
Much cheapness too :)

Trouble i found was to much choice !, doglady came & dragged me out after 3hrs...

I found Texans realy friendly, we also went down to San Antonio, its not that far & folks were realy friendly down there & of course great food, there's a Mexican restaurant there that never closes.

Rob

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
-Don't just look in Bass Pro Shops. Also check out Accademy sports And Outdoors and even the local Walmart for outdoor gear and guns (I know you cain't buy guns as a non citizen or alien resident, much less take them back to the UK; but you can drool)

-Try the local (Texas or Louisiana) seafood.

-Also try a meal at one of the larger truck stops. Travel centers of America has one near Houston (in Baytown, on Interstate Highway 10) and so does Petro (in Beaumont, on Interstate Highway 10).

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Check out REI stores too, jeans are cheap, tee shirts made in the USA tend to be good quality and a good fit, coleman stoves and lanterns may be cheaper there. Sadly the days of very cheap camping kit in the US are over :( Don't know about knives though.

Keep out of Dallas
http://news.yahoo.com/dallas-mayor-declares-emergency-over-west-nile-virus-185126639.html not a health city just now.

Look out for surplus kit, maybe an army sleep system.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE