"In the Field" Bowdrill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Cracked it ! :D Had a lovely day out yesterday with SWMBO wandering around the Brecks north of Thetford. As usual I took my 1 pint Kelly Kettle for a brew to go with lunch, and while we were stopped I noticed some dead ivy on a tree close by. Right next to it was a hazel with a couple of dry, dead rods......

A small ash branch served to provide both the bow and the bearing (lubricated with holly leaves) and a short length of paracord from my pack made the set. I soon found that the ivy was not as dry as I had hoped but I managed an ember in about a minute once I had burned the drill in and cut the notch. Then again... and again. The cuppa that I brewed from fire made from that coal tasted sooooo much better than it would had I used a ferro rod! :)

I had only ever managed to make a good useable coal from a bow drill set gathered then-and-there once before, and that cost me about 2 pints of sweat. My normal kit is carefully dried at home ready for use and I can manage with that pretty easily these days, but this "in the field" set worked every bit as well as my home dried stuff. Well pleased ! :)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
It's a great feeling. Well done.

I usually carry a spare shoe lace with that exact hope of being able to get together a working set. I havn't achieved it yet though.

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
GREAT STUFF!

congrats, I'm well impressed.

I haven't tried it yet 'in the bush', but I can sure imagine the taste.

Just like the tea I brewed last saturday in the zebra billy can I got for my birthday a week ago. Couldn't get better.

enjoy it!

Bob

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Nice one Longstrider - I did the same thing the other day with some dead sycamore for hearth and drill and hazel for the bow. It doesn't seem to matter how many times you 'do it' it still feels as good every time - there are comparisons but this is a family forum :lmao:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
It's something I've managed a few times now - usually because I forget a pre-made set.

My next challenge is to make the cord 'in the field'. I've seen a fallen tree with inner bark that looks to be in a suitable state. I'm just waiting for the time to commit to it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE