In praise of Muddypaws and the man sized spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A while ago I was bleating on (as I do) about the lack of "smallholder sized" cookware available. Normal sized wooden spoons just don't cut it for bulk processing :(

I explained what I needed and why - and was delighted that two members here sorted me out. I have laready posted up Kepis masterpiece stirrer spoons. What I haven't yet shown is the amazing spoons Muddypaws has made us

I described at the time my favourite spoon design - with a flat bottom to scrape the bottom of pans a sharp corner to get into that angle between the side and the base. Muddypaws kindly took the design and supersized it!

At the bottom is the spoon that I like but its just too small - at the top is one of the two spoons Muddypaws made. No bear in mind that the bottom one is a normal sized spoon and you get an idea of scale

Muddypaws Spoon by British Red, on Flickr

But here - with 12 pounds of rhubarb in a 17 litre pot you can see the problem with a small spoon and how much more appropriate the new one is

Spoons in 17l pan by British Red, on Flickr

...and bear in mind that we use pans twice that size!

..and proof that it works just fine - just 4 hours of macerating to go then we cook. Can you imagine stirring that pan with the little spoon when its hot??

Spoon that works! by British Red, on Flickr

So yet again, this forums kindness has eased our lives and helped our homestead along.

We are so grateful!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've already stained it in places :(

Its gone a bit pink on the bowl.

Thats why I'm not allowed nice things :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Look, a spoon that doesn't show any signs it's been used is a damned funny looking ornament :D
It wouldn't be a good useful, and used, jam making spoon if it didn't get stained pinkish :D

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indeed - they even out in time I find too :). Just removed the 30th jar from the water bath....annnnnddd relax :)

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Hi Red. Glad you like the spoons, and it's good to see that they work well for you. Also it is good to see the spoon paired with some "man-sized" pans. A two foot spoon in my kitchen looks absolutely ridiculous!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I have been away from the internet for a while, and have only just got back.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No worries mate - all thanks are due to you :) The spoons are superb and a joy to use - Mrs Red is in your debt as she now has home grown fruit to take when she works away!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE