In Need of Another Weekend Away?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
Hi Guys,
Beth here! Sorry I couldn't join you all this weekend but I already had plans. I heard you had a super time. I just wanted to drop you a note to thank you all for looking out for my boy (Jake I mean not Mark, he's old enough and ugly enough to take care of himself). He has had a fantastic time and a special thank you to Liz as Jake said 'she's wicked' !!!! Your a star Liz, sorry I missed it, count me in on the next one!
Love Beth x

P.S - Glad to hear that the bears kept away! <grin>

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Yeah i had a great time and a lovely sore head,but that was self inflicted :rolleyes:
It was nice to see people that i know and meet new ones. Again a big thanks to Dave and Liz. And for those who didn't make it:nana: all the more Chilli and Venison stew for us :D .

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
Thats nice, isn't it? My own wife calls me ugly on a public forum. If only it weren't true... LOL!

Thanks from me to Dave, Liz, Nathan and the usual suspects for the fantastic weekend. Roll on the next one!

Mark.

Gailainne

Life Member
Very chilled out weekend, just what I needed, sorry I wimped out on the shelter, but to be frank, once I got there I really needed to just wind down, as John said it had been a stressful week.

Joss, great fun with the bows mate, sorry I bent a couple of arrows hitting rocks :eek: , Again I would be more than happy to contribute in the construction of a dozen or so arrows, or knowing how accurate we are, 2 dozen :D.

Perhaps a class on making them ? with us buying the materials required ? as long as you realise the motive behind it, :cool: I have begun to realise "every time you shoot you lose arrows" so making your own saves money :rolleyes: slow but not thick :D I still want that horse bow.

Many thanks to all, Dave Liz (food was superb, as usual) and Nathan, Nathan hope you had a good 17th mate.

Stephen

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
No worries Stephen. The arrow supply got off quite light this time but you're right enough - better off expecting to bust a few rather than getting upset when it inevitably happens.
I'll bring along the gubbins for making them up the next time.

Only managed a few piccies.
The bridgebuilders. Managed to catch Mark's good side. :)

MORCHS_14.jpg

Sun's out. Shelter's empty.

MORCHS_15.jpg

Later on there was a whole lotta whittlin' goin' on.

MORCHS_16.jpg

Thanks to Dave, Liz and Nathan for putting up with us and everyone else who made it such a laugh. Had a great time.

:)
Josh

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Good wee treasure hunt Stuart. :) Can't help pin it down though I'm afraid. :(

The "Queen of Fairies" possibly comes(indirectly) from Thomas the Rhymer. There are just too many links to Sir Walter Scott(who was descended from the Scotts of Harden apparently).

Harden/Borthwicksheils isn't near where Thomas met the fairy queen though, that was up by Selkirk.

The 'hole' could be a fishing hole maybe???

On some of the old maps Harden Burn seems to include what is now marked up as Blind Burn(so it could be farther north than it appears).
Not enough detail though. The 6" to 1 mile map would likely show it best. There's probably a copy up in the Mitchell Library, if I'm in town at the weekend I'll dive up and have a look(order a photocopy).

Don't know how much info is going to be around though. The library in Hawick might have books on local lore but I suspect going up and searching around some more might be the only answer. I'm game but finding a time that suits us both might be tricky.

Here's that song I was talking about Gailainne.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Cheers Josh,i,ve just looked at my map and its got Blind burn marked on it,i have followed the burn but not right to the top, i will give it another look and let you know how i get on,again thanks for taking the time to do a bit of research for me :You_Rock_

All the best Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE