in need of a head torch recommendations please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Alpkit are the dogs testes when it comes to headtorches.
You will have to pay at least £40 to come anywhere close to the gamma from any other maker.
I bought junior one at the Bushcraft show and , rather foolishly , actually gave it to him!
He now has a much better headtorch than I do for rather less money!!
Simon

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I picked up one very much like of these in B&Q for about a tenner last year, works lovely. Mine doesn't have the red LED but has two superbright magnified LEDs on a dim and bright setting. Only downside I can see is it doesn't have a over the head strap, but it's no big deal really.

headlight.jpg

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It seems that cheap headtorches are everywhere now, with super bright LED's that flash/change brightness etc. A few years ago, you had to spend money to get something decent

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
The Alpkit Gamma got so many thumbs ups when i asked this very question that santa is bringing me one and one for a relatives christmas pressie.

Hurry up xmas !

Maxip

Forager
Dec 2, 2011
Cumbria, UK
+1 for the Energizer. I have this as my lightweight torch and it lives in the car most of the time. No variable brightness but gives off a good beam and the red LED is extremely useful.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I've got the Energizer, a Petzl Tikka and a cheapy from the Petrol station. The battery cover falls off the cheapy, the petzl case cracked but the energizer is going strong. I'm going to buy an Alpkit though, as the rear red led will come in handy walking dark country lanes.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A Petzl Tikka 2 and an energizer with the red led. I rate both.

I've really smashed the petzl a few times on head height trees and it laughed. Don't know how others are cracking them.

The energizers are good too and very waterproof.

Of all the headtorchs I've had, the petzl is fave. The batteries last 4 times as long as the energizers and the beam spread is the best.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Crack in Petzl.jpg

The crack in the Petzl Tikka Plus appeared after I dropped it onto a track when I couldn't feel my fingers, it was about -15c at the time and my guess is that another torch would have shattered completely. It still works well, but I'd think twice before shelling out £30 for a torch again.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
So my cheap head torch from tesco has finally given up the ghost its served me well but leaves me without illumination.
i have a budget of approx £20 pounds what would you recommend?
thanks in advance

hey sam check out the energiser headtorch in argos, its about £15 ish, its really good with red filter and differing levels of LED brightness.....

images

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE