Imco lighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
There's been a lot of posts on suitable lighters and matches. Just thought I'd post a couple of pics of an imco lighter that I use to light my fires/stoves etc. THe lighter part separates from the body to form a long match.
imco2.jpg

Imco1.jpg

Last edited:

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I've just fixed your post and deleted the duplicate ones. what was wrong; you had used the wrong IMG code from photobucket. hope this helps have a look here
in the FAQ thread for further guidance on posting photos.

I used to like these lighter when i was a students not used one since might have to give them a try again

Last edited:

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
They are a great lighter, very reliable and cheap. I find the fuel lasts a bit longer than a zippo myself, I dont smoke so most of the fuel evaporates from my zippo. I really like these though.

Mark

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Thanks for that - I used the direct link on photobucket to post the second pic. You learn something every day!

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Can you run these on meths or does it have to be the usual petrol type lighter fuel? Just wondering so as to use on fuel for this and a Trangia or Tatonka burner.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Has anyone ever encountered slight rusting on the inside of the mechanism with these? I've had one for a couple of years - got a '37 style brass zippo too and I often swap between the two every so often.

sdf234

Apr 18, 2009
Dixie
I like these more than Zippos. One reason is that the fuel chamber/wick combo seperates from the windshield so that you can light things with greater precision than with the windshield box on the top of the Zippo. Given the length of the fuel chamber/wick unit you can light things with them while your fingers are a safe distance away- such as a Trangia burner. They are also lighter weight than Zippos as well. Plus, I find Imcos to be more interesting than the all too common Zippos. The way it operates is just more "gadgety" than a Zippo.

I have never actually filled my Imco with meths but I do have a nice trick for you involving meths, Imcos and Trangias: Lets say that you have a Trangia with fuel in it and an Imco that doesn't have fuel and you have no matches or flints with you to light your Trangia. You can take the fuel chamber/wick unit out of the windshield and dip the wick in the meths in the Trangia burner. Then put the fuel chamber/wick unit back in the Imco windshield. Now, use the striker on the Imco- you will ignite the fuel on the wick- now you will have a quick flame to light your Trangia.

As much as I like my Imco, I have gotten away from taking lighters (of the Zippo/Imco type) with me as the fuel evaporates out of it over a while so I end up putting more fuel into it that I burn from it.

-yes, Sharp88, mine does have a little bit of rust on the inside- it didn't show up until after I had to unexpectedly jump in a lake and the Imco happened to be in my pocket- but it still works. Most of the components of the Imco are aluminium so its only the steel ones with a little bit of rust.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
this beats the zippo hands down. cheap as and very good

That's not hard is it though, I have a Zippo kicking about somewhere and the fuel runs out in a few days if I use it or not.
Its about as much use as a stopped clock.

A Clipper is an much better lighter than a Zippo and although not "Windproof" it does at least manage to last for over a week without needing a refill.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I like these more than Zippos. One reason is that the fuel chamber/wick combo seperates from the windshield so that you can light things with greater precision than with the windshield box on the top of the Zippo. Given the length of the fuel chamber/wick unit you can light things with them while your fingers are a safe distance away- such as a Trangia burner. They are also lighter weight than Zippos as well. Plus, I find Imcos to be more interesting than the all too common Zippos. The way it operates is just more "gadgety" than a Zippo.

I have never actually filled my Imco with meths but I do have a nice trick for you involving meths, Imcos and Trangias: Lets say that you have a Trangia with fuel in it and an Imco that doesn't have fuel and you have no matches or flints with you to light your Trangia. You can take the fuel chamber/wick unit out of the windshield and dip the wick in the meths in the Trangia burner. Then put the fuel chamber/wick unit back in the Imco windshield. Now, use the striker on the Imco- you will ignite the fuel on the wick- now you will have a quick flame to light your Trangia.

As much as I like my Imco, I have gotten away from taking lighters (of the Zippo/Imco type) with me as the fuel evaporates out of it over a while so I end up putting more fuel into it that I burn from it.

-yes, Sharp88, mine does have a little bit of rust on the inside- it didn't show up until after I had to unexpectedly jump in a lake and the Imco happened to be in my pocket- but it still works. Most of the components of the Imco are aluminium so its only the steel ones with a little bit of rust.

Similar story with me, except its gone rusty due to spilling pints all over my legs! On the one end, ok its a lil rusty and it feels a lil tinny, but I just can't get over the design of it. Gotta love it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE