I'm one third of the way through the Pyrenees GR10

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
No cooking ? what are you eating, if your not cooking have you not taken a stove ? what are you doing about water lol so many questions, good luck :)

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
No cooking ? what are you eating, if your not cooking have you not taken a stove ? what are you doing about water lol so many questions, good luck :)
Water so far has been easy - a one litre plastic bottle had been big enough. As I go further East it may change. For food, I'm in a town about every second day so I pig out then. Onn the trail I'm mostly eating dried cured sausage, cereal bars, dark chocolate and sweeties.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Water so far has been easy - a one litre plastic bottle had been big enough. As I go further East it may change. For food, I'm in a town about every second day so I pig out then. Onn the trail I'm mostly eating dried cured sausage, cereal bars, dark chocolate and sweeties.

I see, I know nothing of the G10 ? I'll have to Google it, sounds more like a long stroll with stops lol ( joke )

PebblyBeach

Jan 14, 2015
Whitstable
I'm heading to the GR10 in a few weeks time, just for 7 days walking starting from Hendaye. I'm also going lightweight, and aiming to wild camp most/all nights, I've a couple of queries:

Have you found spots for wild camping easy to find?

I see you've taken full waterproofs, I was hoping it's going to be warm enough to just take a showerproof windshirt and brolly, and walk in shorts, am I going stupid-light?

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
I'm heading to the GR10 in a few weeks time, just for 7 days walking starting from Hendaye. I'm also going lightweight, and aiming to wild camp most/all nights, I've a couple of queries:

Have you found spots for wild camping easy to find?

I see you've taken full waterproofs, I was hoping it's going to be warm enough to just take a showerproof windshirt and brolly, and walk in shorts, am I going stupid-light?
I was wild camping with a hammock so my comments can only relate to hammock camping - I found places ridiculously easily. Tents are a different thing because I was never looking for flat places, I was looking for trees. Suspect you'll do fine though.
Waterproofs. I was ultra lightweight because I took cheapo waterproof trousers, a 160gramme homemade breathable jacket and hat. Bear in mind even in the summer you can have some incredibly heavy rain - I was in rain that hard it was wetter than a powershower and bloody cold -including hailstones. Umbrella - in a good storm that would blow away in a second. Suspect you can dump the waterproof trousers but a decent waterproof top is essential.

If I can give some advice - don't bother walking from Hendaye - the first 3 days or so are pretty boring. I'd start from somewhere inland - much more impressive scenery. St Jean Pied de Port would be a good spot to start from and good transport links to/from there.

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Sorry I was already in France and away from a computer when you sent your PM. I would have liked to have heard first-hand about your trip over a glass of wine or two. I guess I'll now have to wait in patience for your trip report post. Hope all went well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE