I'm not a prepper...but my son will be...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Warming climate means increased thunderstorm activity equals more heat lost to space so there is a self-regulating mechanism at work. Increased carbon dioxide in atmosphere means more plant growth and possibly increase of shellfish in oceans, see the chalk formations, another regulating mechanism. Now, I do not say that these and other natural responses would solve any problem of global warming but they must be factored into our responses. It would also seem reasonable to plan for the effects if they are inevitable by moving cities etc. rather than building higher and higher dykes etc.

Of course, a switch to ice age conditions would wipe us out more certainly than warm seas.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
all in all i won't be here we will servive in some shape or form no matter what happens regards dave

Increased carbon dioxide in atmosphere means...possibly increase of shellfish in oceans, see the chalk formations, another regulating mechanism.

Trying my best not to get too involved in this conversation, but the opposite of this is actually true.

Google ocean acidification. Increased CO2 actually results in decreases in many/most shellfish, and results in huge changes in ecosystems, especially coupled with global warming.

It's interesting to see that warming isn't the only problem caused by increased greenhouse gases.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Trying my best not to get too involved in this conversation, but the opposite of this is actually true.

Google ocean acidification. Increased CO2 actually results in decreases in many/most shellfish, and results in huge changes in ecosystems, especially coupled with global warming.......

Yep. Not only is the ice shrinking; so are the reefs.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Food importation isn't actually as bad as it could be, it's the method of importation that is the issue. Flying green beans from Egypt to the UK is obscenely bad for the environment. Shipping a ship full of grain from Canada less of an issue. Especially as we can quite happily do this by sailing ship.....

I believe I remember a recent thread stating the current UK population is a bit over 70,000. You're going to import enough grain to feed that many people on sailing ships?

Are these going to be the old style wooden ship? You'll destroy the forests harvesting that much wood.

Are they going to be modern synthetics? There's that carbon footprint in the construction again (not to mention the nasty oil they're derived from)

Where are the imports coming from? Canada you said? How are they going to grow enough grain for their own population as well as GB's without the use of modern farming? You know; carbon producing tractors, combines, etc.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....How long can we as a population reserve judgement for? It's no good standing on the edge of the desert with an empty water bottle, covered in sun burn and say "Oh, the scientists were right".

The problem here is not a case of "hey the scientists may be wrong", it's "what if they are right?"....

What if they are? The world will change; so what? Humans were here at the tail end of the last ice age and the climate and geography have certainly changed since then. As a species we adapted to almost every climate on Earth: Arctic, Saharan, jungle, coastal, etc, and thrived in them all. Species adapt or face extinction.

The positive if climate change is true? The Arctic ice cap melts and a seaway opens up for commerce.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Can't find it at the moment - usual silliness by lobbies on both sides come up on Google. The study I recall reading was good and unbiased (e.g. most pro cycle groups compare a bike with a car - ignoring the multiple occupancy possibility of a car). The study I read looked at things like food miles, energy expended and CO2 created in food growth (tractor diesel etc.) rather than just the CO2 produced by the cyclist exhaling. The point was made - with I think a measure of veracity - that its not about the CO2 produced by breathing but rather that made up in the "fuel" and a cyclists fuel is food.

I read the study. It was badly conducted twaddle, since it assumed that the entire calorie intake of the cyclist (for the day) was required to give them the extra energy for the cycling. Didn't take into account the calories used by the driver while driving.

I cycle a lot.Yes, I eat more food when I cycle. No, it isn't a lot more than normal. My 50mile round-trip to work and back means I need the equivalent of about 2 mars-bars extra food per day.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I read the study. It was badly conducted twaddle, since it assumed that the entire calorie intake of the cyclist (for the day) was required to give them the extra energy for the cycling. Didn't take into account the calories used by the driver while driving.

Must be a different study then - the one I was read was scrupulous about such things. I agree most are twaddle - as I said, the ones that think cars only carry one person or that respiration only occurs when cycling. This one was pretty good. It was a few years back now mind you.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland

Sorry for the less than serious response but I couldn't help myself!:D

(with respect as to the nature of the first few posts)

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
So some of us believe it's pointless to lower our impact on the planet? You're probably the ones that go out into the woods and leave the mess that we see, after all, there's no point in "treading softly" or "leaving no trace" because either it will stay as it is (messy) or someone else will clear it up. As long as you're not inconvenienced, that's the main thing. If you're not willing to do what you can, no matter how small, to care for the planet, then you clearly won't be concerned for your immediate environment.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
So some of us believe it's pointless to lower our impact on the planet? You're probably the ones that go out into the woods and leave the mess that we see, after all, there's no point in "treading softly" or "leaving no trace" because either it will stay as it is (messy) or someone else will clear it up. As long as you're not inconvenienced, that's the main thing. If you're not willing to do what you can, no matter how small, to care for the planet, then you clearly won't be concerned for your immediate environment.

hi,

not sure weather or not that was directed at me, but I posted this because it came in an subcribed email and I thought it was funny in relation to the first few posts.

For the record, I am NOT one of "the ones" that leave a mess or do not tidy up after myself, because "soembody else will clear it up" or it "will just stay messy"

I am one of those people who ends up carrying a black sack of other people's rubbish and empty beer cans when I leave and who tidy's up other people's fire scars. I also recycle, grow my own organic food, compost most of my own material,collect rain water in butts, and use public transport as opposed to driving (most of the time). In addition, I work with people with disabilites for a living and encourage them to do the same. I am also a member of The Green Campus Commitee in my college.

To be honest, if that was directed at me, you made an awfully quick snap judgement as to the nature of how I live my life and behave when I am outdoors based on the posting of a cartoon that I thought was mildly funny.

If it was not aimed at me then I apologise, but if it was, you may want to consider why you made such negitive judgement of a person you have never met based on a single post on an online forum.

Regards,

Stephen

Last edited:

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
No, not you or anyone particularly, your cartoon made me laugh, and I'm sure everyone on here does strive to 'leave no trace' when they're out. I was trying to point out, probably unclearly, the dichotomy that would seem to exist in the two viewpoints of "no point in doing anything" and "leave no trace". I probably sounded harsher than I meant to, so I apologise to all for any offence.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Oh! sorry in that case!

I'm probably just over sensitive at this time in the morning.

I can undertrand the anger though. I haven't been on a single trip in the past three years where I haven't had to clean up after someone else.
regards,

Ste

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
No, not you or anyone particularly, your cartoon made me laugh, and I'm sure everyone on here does strive to 'leave no trace' when they're out. I was trying to point out, probably unclearly, the dichotomy that would seem to exist in the two viewpoints of "no point in doing anything" and "leave no trace". I probably sounded harsher than I meant to, so I apologise to all for any offence.

There is no dichotomy. Taking care of your immediate, or not so immediate environment, and accepting the fact that there is sweet nothing one can do about global issues, is just reasonable.
Either human driven climate change is a serious issue, in which case, why are the governments not doing something about it, or, it's a load of nonsense, in which case, why are we hearing so much about it. It can't be both.
Humans affecting the global climate, not the local environment, is an issue for governments, if it's an issue at all. Driving a new, more efficient car, putting solar panel or a wind turbine up, not eating fish, coz there all disappearing, and paying environmental taxes, isn't going to make any difference.
It may come that it is our problem, but that does not automatically mean that we are in control of it, or can influence it.

The idea that the global climate is being affected by humans has been going around long enough for something to be done about it. If there is any basis in truth to it, then it could be quite a serious issue.

The ones with the power to make change, can fight massive wars, send man into space, create an economy of incomprehensible size, and organise it across a huge part of the world. It's amazing and breath taking what can be achieved. And they can't stop man made climate change.......???
Something doesn't quite add up there.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
That sounds like you're saying that you will continue to do something that you believe to be ethically wrong because it won't make a difference if you stop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE