I'm Mad About Wool Blankets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I picked up some wool blankets recently at a second hand thrift shop. They cost $4 each. I am utterly amazed at the prices there. To buy a new King sized blanket at the Hudson's Bay store in Canada, it would cost me $475. For a Double sized blanket, $275. Even to buy one on Ebay.ca, with shipping factored in, I'd be paying at least $75.

So instead, I occasionally stop in at the neighbourhood thrift shop and browse the rack at the back of the floor where you can pick up used comforters, sheets and towels. Nearly every time I go there, there are one or two blankets waiting for me.

Why is this such a big deal for me? I'm not sure. I'm obsessed for some reason. For the outdoors, there is something magical about a wool blanket. It is a terrific insulator. Your body emits about the same amount of heat energy as a 150 watt light bulb. The trick to staying warm in the outdoors is to keep that heat from leaking away from your body faster than your body can replenish it. You can achieve that equilibrium - or overcome the environmental temperature differential - by keeping colder objects away from your body (the ground, water, even cold air) or by adding warmth to your immediate area (warm air from a fire, hot water bottle, infrared radiation from a fire-heated rock wall, etc...), which effectively does the same thing - keeping the cold away.

Mors Kochanski talks about treating your clothing and covering as a micro-environment. He says that you should be sufficiently clothed to survive whatever nature can throw at your for 4 full days, without having a shelter. So you need to have layers of covering and clothes that will trap air in it, and not hold water. Water is not a great insulator. In fact, it allows heat to migrate from your body to the environment 27 times more efficiently than does air. Worse still would be to wrap yourself in aluminum foil... I would be prepared for the worst if I had a couple of wool blankets with my normal winter camping clothing. Even wet, wool retains a degree of insulation - and it won't wick and absorb moisture like cotton does.

A wool blanket is safe around a fire - when sparks land on a wool blanket, it chars but won't catch on fire. It won't melt like polyester fleece, or like plastic. You can use a wool blanket to sit on, or as a quick tarp-like shelter which will protect you from light rains, and from the sun.

A wool blanket can be quickly and easily made into a coat, or with extra effort, into a nicely-cut shirt, and can be used as a sleeping bag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvsKDUvPWYs

Dave Canterbury of the Pathfinder Training School on his Wilderness Outfitters Archery web site has a great video entitled One Blanket Tricks demonstrating a match-coat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJqdbyGsmAE

A backpack can be quickly made with a wool blanket and some twine, to carry your gear, or even a baby. Tightly rolled up and tied off with a bit of twine or paracord, I can easily attach a couple of blankets to a knapsack.

You can collect nuts, seeds, berries, fruit and other edibles on an outspread blanket, and of course use it to transport them in.

But for me, a wool blanket is mostly for wrapping myself in when I am sitting down in the outdoors.

Cheers,

Mungo

sapling

Sep 27, 2007
Glasgow
Thanks for that Mungo.

I also have a thing for wool and particularly in blanket form, its uses are limitless and its natural qualities are perfect for use in the outdoors. Watching the video reminded me of the way in which the traditional Scottish plaid was worn, essentially a long lenght of wool woven to make various tartans. Im no expert but there seemed to be some similarities. Like you say im sure it was a shelter, bed roll, coat and many other things and has kept outdoorsmen (and women) sheltered from the elements for centuries.

Cheers
Sap

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
Of all the "warm up kit" I've taken as leader on Cub camp ; spare sleeping bags , roll mats , 'fleece' blanket wraps , etc. The kit with the quickest and highest sucess rate are consistently 2 old 'heavy' wool blankets I picked up at a garage sale, £1 the pair !

Physicly, mentaly, emotionaly ,..whatever , they work.. on kids or adults. !

Wouldn't be without them now.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
We have a couple of wool blankets in the car, and several more in the house, I agree with the above, very useful item.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Me too,
I've been down the road of synthetic fleeces and such but it has to be said that wool is just plain better.
I'm also wandering how much of a hint Toddy needs to pass on some links, and post up some of her excellent information on blanket coats, like the talks she gave at the moot. I know I'll be tinkering with at least one bushshirt once I find a suitable donor blanket.

ATB ;)

Ogri the trog

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I always have a pair of "beater" wool blankets behind the seat in my pickup truck - year round. They are a mental ... comfort ... to know they are there when needed - even if they are only needed to throw on the ground so kids don't get grass stains on their clothes.

And I have several dozen wool blankets upstairs - in all manner of sizes, thicknesses, and color variations. Most are of the right colors and patterns to fit into my historical endevours, but some are just "old" army surplus blankets.

That "match coat" or "watch coat" is nothing more than wrapping a blanket around your head/shoulders, and then running a belt around it to hold it closed around your body. So simple. And no cutting/sewing/fitting needed. You have your whole blanket left for any other purpose needed.

One problem with using a wool blanket for some version of a coat or shirt. They are great for insulation, but they also allow wind to blow through! Especially the way good wool blankets are made. They are thick and fluffy, but somewhat of a loose weave. So wind can blow through them. You really need a wind-proof outer layer when you use one.

For a coat of shirt, you really need some wool material like they make those navy peacoats out of. That stuff is woven tight enough to block the wind and shed water. A coat or shirt of that type of material will serve you better than using a blanket to make it up.

But wool blankets also are made in different weaves and thicknesses. So some are thicker and of tighter weave - to block more of that wind. And a wool blanket can be "fulled" - a controlled version of shrinking them to make them thicker and of tigher weave.

I even have some thin wool blankets for summer use. They tend to work better than a cotton blanket on those "warm" days - especially when you need some sort of cover because of the skeeters.

New wool blankets are expensive - especially any labeled Hudson Bay. Best places to find them at reasonable prices are those second-hand or thrift stores, and garage sales, even household auctions.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
When I made a blanket shirt from Toddy's design, I made it a couple of sizes big and shrank it in the wash when dying it . It tightened the weave up a bit and made a more felted feel to the shirt..

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Me too,
I've been down the road of synthetic fleeces and such but it has to be said that wool is just plain better.
I'm also wandering how much of a hint Toddy needs to pass on some links, and post up some of her excellent information on blanket coats, like the talks she gave at the moot. I know I'll be tinkering with at least one bushshirt once I find a suitable donor blanket.

ATB ;)

Ogri the trog

Funny that, Pete, as I have never thrown my lot in with the Swanndri fanatics - I have a bushshirt and while it is warm in low ambient temperatures I have never found it to be a touch on fleece for resisting wind chill. Maybe I need one of them fancy ventile jackets to go over it.......

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I got two HBC blankets off a mate in the States (charity shop purchase), they make great throw overs for the sofa :) We used wool blankets when I first started camping with the scouts, dam near froze to death, awful things for camping. Ask the question "If wool makes great blankets for sleeping in, and shirts/coats for keeping warm in, why are 99.9% of campers buying sleeping bags and jackets not made of wool"?

We had a long thread over on CCS a few years ago about the benefit of wool blankets, HBC scored high (that's how I ended up with mine) but the bottom line was that they were great a hundred years ago, but were not comparable to modern textiles/materials and design.

I wrap my grandson in one of the HBC's when he dozes off on the sofa, I'll try and take a snap, he looks very happy with it

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I used to have a lovely one from family heirloom weavers in the USA, I don't think thye sell them any more and I really regret selling it.

I'm planning to take 2 wool blankets with me on my next solo canoe trip - I will be portaging the first leg of the trip, and will need to tie them to my backpack (rather than put them inside).

Has anyone got any suggestions on 1) what to use to tie them up, and 2) more importantly, in what shape/form should I tie them?

I'm thinking a roll, but maybe there is a more efficient way?

Mungo

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'd roll them up and use some small pieces of twine to lash them in place. No need to bind them too tight, if you want to waterproof it all, roll them into a poncho. Drape the roll along the top and down each side of your pack. It may have straps and lashing points on the pack, use them to secure it or open the lid, lay it across there and then close the lid so that the two ends hang down the sides.

Good on you for going old school!

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Always used to hit the WI's to blag free ex army/hospital blankets, to insulate benders when you cant get old carpet. i love em.

Made a few Ron Laclair type shirts out of them too but my tailoring skills are pretty primitive.

Do the army still use them? or do they use quilts now? wooo bedblocks

Always used to hit the WI's to blag free ex army/hospital blankets, to insulate benders when you cant get old carpet. i love em.

Made a few Ron Laclair type shirts out of them too but my tailoring skills are pretty primitive.

Do the army still use them? or do they use quilts now? wooo bedblocks

Hello - sorry, being Canadian (eh?) I'm not too clear on some of the words here... Blag, benders, bedblocks? Also, what's a Ron Laclair type of shirt?

Curious,

Mungo

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
:sad6:

sorry,

umm blag is like to beg, borrow or steal,

benders are like heavy duty tents, made of hazel sticks bent over, with a truck tarp (a blagged one. .) thrown over the top,

bedblocks are annoying part of uk army basic training,

and ron laclair is an american archery legend who can hit coins thrown in the air n stuff :notworthy: i dont know how to post links but if you google his name, and check out his online shop, he sells his own wool bush shirts and hoods,

:sad6:

sorry,

umm blag is like to beg, borrow or steal,

benders are like heavy duty tents, made of hazel sticks bent over, with a truck tarp (a blagged one. .) thrown over the top,

bedblocks are annoying part of uk army basic training,

and ron laclair is an american archery legend who can hit coins thrown in the air n stuff :notworthy: i dont know how to post links but if you google his name, and check out his online shop, he sells his own wool bush shirts and hoods,

Thank you Saddle Tramp - wow, I had once come across Ron Laclair's page about making a wool shirt, but to see his archery... wow!

Here are a couple of links I found:

http://www.shrewbows.com/wool_shirts/

and his archery skills found on this YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F0IB9ofGaE&NR=1

Very cool - thanks!

P.S. To post a link, go to a web page that you like, then click on the little image at the top of the window within this BCUK forum that looks like a little blue earth, and a chain link. Highlight the text like 'look at these wool shirts' and then click the button. Type in, or paste in the web link that you want someone to go to, and the window will put the link in for you. (Or something like that!)

Thanks again for this information

Cheers,

Mungo

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
blimey, i thought hitting coins was something else, but the guy hits asprins too :yikes:

thanks for the info on posting links. truth is i never even used a computer til a few months ago and its been a steep learning curve, but im getting there

cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE