im looking for sporran templates?!

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I fancy making some sporrans and having trouble finding templates/ideas etc. i know there is a leading pattern on this forum i think started by haggishead? (correct me if im wrong!) which i like but also fancy making a more sturdy one for friends as i dont have much thin leather at the moment

can anybody help a scot out? :eek:

much appreciated
Hamish

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm pretty certain that my pattern was posted long before oz joined and started making sporrans.

Anyway, the original pattern I have was taken from a sporran worn at Culloden. It was turned into a pdf but the link is no longer working. If someone who downloaded Motorbikeman's pdf reads this they might be able to help.

Eric Methven recently used my copy of the pattern to make several sporrans of the same type. There's a thread about those ones too. Last year's date.

The original pattern I made was also scanned and posted as photos on the forum in 2005.
If you search sporran and look from 2005, May, onwards, somewhere in the list will be the drawings and sizes.
The drawings are important, they explain exactly why the three wee tassels aren't just decoration but are the original fastenings for the sporran. Most folks muck that bit up and make something that's a nightmare to untie.

If this isn't the kind you want Hamish, I have eight other leather pouch patterns but they are my drawings and sometimes they don't scan well. If you give us a clear guideline of what you want though, I'll see what I can do and I'm sure there'll be others along too.

I'll add on links as I come across them.

cheers,
M

p.s.
Links
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5206

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59244

Last edited:

Dreadhead

trhanks Toddy i had a feeling you would know! im gonnae try and make one of those culloden sporrans soon, was also just any sort of sporran pattern even like the modern sporrans you get these days as several friends have asked if i can make them a sporran so i would like tae make several different styles and find out which ones works best for me etc

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think then that maybe your best bet would be to say what kind of leather you have and how much, and we'll see what suits ?

The simplest sporran is a drawcord bag with a flap cover. If you harden the leather you can create a very rigid shape. The cantle type (metal oval fastening that the bag is sewn onto) mean you need to be a good metalworker if you want to do it yourself. I know someone who did (my brother for Monarch's ones for him and his best man and ushers for his wedding) but that's a whole other layer of materials, time and effort.

A U shaped bag made of three pieces, with a lid that is also the belt carrier, attached, is probably the easiest one for you to draw out. Make a toile out of stiff paper or scrap fabric to see the sizes, etc.,

Have a look at sites like Caledonian Creations and see what Jim's made :) too

cheers,
M

Dreadhead

yeah i think the U shaped bag is most likely ideal as it utilizes soft leather and thicker leather together which i will end up doing. i have some thick 3-4mm veg tan and some thin leather for lining but the thin leather is either chrome tanned yellow or paper thin veg tan stuff that will tear easy. im thinking ill make a horrid yellow sporran as a starting point. im sure i have other scraps that should suffice for now. i do fancy making a modern style one with thick veg tan front and back.

im curious about the way tae make the tassels and how they secure the fastening. i have an idea how but cannae find the pictures you mentioned. shall keep looking though

thanks for the help Toddy :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE