im looking for a new daypack...

sorry for asking a question which has probably been asked quite a few times already... but my search was unsuccessful...

i*m looking for a new daypack but i have some special requirements...:
* volume ca. twenty-five litres for the main compartment + two sidepockets
*it has to be made of STRONG fabric- no ultralight clingwrap- as it has to hold my gear for working and for daytrips out bush as well--- often i end up bushbashing crosscountry...
* it also has to sit a bit higher on the back to allow me to wear my toolbelt/webbing... so i guess something with a military background....
* the material has to cope with strong sunlight and high humidity- rainy season has just started here in japan-
* it should be possible to attach tools to the outside of the pack

** thanks** to DHL i had one thousand AUdollar costs to get a document delivered several weeks too late so it has to be affordable, too....

THANKS

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I've got a 25L rucksack that I bought in 2004 that I am very pleased with and it is still in great condition after 10 years of use. It's the Berghaus FreeFlow II (no doubt there will be a newer version after 10 years!). It has a main top-loading compartment with a pouch for a hydration system and 2 large-ish side pockets. It has an inner and outer pocket in the 'lid' and a zipped compartment containing a waterproof cover, to cover the rucksack in heavy rain. It has a internal ventilated mesh back panel, well-made padded shoulder straps and hip-belt, and an chest strap.
The shoulder straps have a strip of webbing, almost like a single MOLLE strap, to which you can secure your phone case. The pack has 2 fixed lower loops and 2 adjustable elasticated loops at the top for holding walking sticks or whatever.
I've just googled it and found this:
http://www.allweathers.co.uk/berghaus-freeflow-25-daysack-sale-aw13-18319-p.asp
It has been updated and now seems to have side mesh pockets as well. It's advertised at £42.99 but you might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere if it suits you. Maybe check it out in Cotwolds Outdoor first to see if you like it ....

Italian army alpine mountain backpack. Covers everything you stated, and is a great bit of kit.

it DOES look like solution for me but how does the canvas hold up in permanent high humidity?! i had issues with mould on canvas in the past in OZ and now i'm in japan- rainy season has started and my sleeping bag(- hanging from a line to air out) starts to look funny already... and finding one here in japan might be tricky (especially if you live in a village in the mountains with FIVE inhabitants...)

is the "sabre 35" a special edition or the standard version-- might be easier to find one here in japan...?!

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Bought this one about half a year ago:http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd-bergen-rucksack because of the good price.

It seems to tick some boxes for you, strong, waterproof, side pouches (one fits a tarp perfectly and the other can take a Zebra Billy can 1 liter + extras, webbing all over the pack but not too 'tactical-looking'. Total volume is about 40 litres, but the pack is still quite small and manageable. It also sits quite high on the back, plenty of space to wear a tool belt.

Needs some little modification to keep the side pouches from wobbling a bit, but this is solved easily, made a video about it and sent it to DD, they where going to see wether they can add this mod themselves on future packs :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNZB1n6cP20

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
it DOES look like solution for me but how does the canvas hold up in permanent high humidity?! i had issues with mould on canvas in the past in OZ and now i'm in japan- rainy season has started and my sleeping bag(- hanging from a line to air out) starts to look funny already... and finding one here in japan might be tricky (especially if you live in a village in the mountains with FIVE inhabitants...)

is the "sabre 35" a special edition or the standard version-- might be easier to find one here in japan...?!

http://www.karrimorsf.com/view-catalogue/store-locator.html

Lists 3 places in Japan.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sounds like a Medium ALICE might fit your requirements. Should also be fairly easy to source in Japan but I can't be sure of that.

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
Have you thought about Kifaru, they'll meet your criteria

http://store.kifaru.net/packs-c15.aspx

Here's a good pic of someone's 'Express' posted on British blades, with two 'long pockets' and a 'Grab-It II' (I think):

image_zps9f7c2db8.jpg

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
seems amazon has them- but they did not tell me the volume (in L) and only "" heavy duty nylon"" which is not THAT helpful, either....

Material is 400 denier IIRC; definitely a Cordura or generic equivalent (maybe 600d) Lighter than most military rucks today which are 1000d. They typically last well through hard use for years and years. Normally the stitching in the seams is the first thing to go (just like the 1000d, modern ones)

Official (military) capacity is listed as 2350 cubic inches (38.5 liters) and upwards for the "medium."

Some internet list it higher but usually at or near 40 liters max. The empty weight is around 3.5 pounds (1.6 kilos)

Last edited:
Material is 400 denier IIRC; definitely a Cordura or generic equivalent (maybe 600d) Lighter than most military rucks today which are 1000d. They typically last well through hard use for years and years. Normally the stitching in the seams is the first thing to go (just like the 1000d, modern ones)

Official (military) capacity is listed as 2350 cubic inches (38.5 liters) and upwards for the "medium."

Some internet list it higher but usually at or near 40 liters max. The empty weight is around 3.5 pounds (1.6 kilos)

40litres would make it suitable as an overnight pack, too.... are there fakes/cheap copies out there (to avoid)?!

i just had a quick look at karrimors website and found the ""predator30l"" it seems to be made from 1000D material and has plenty of attachments for sidepockets etc.--- has anyone experience with this one?!
there is also a 30l-version of the sabre (no sidepockets) but that's lighter material then the predator...

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just stick with the ones advertised as Medium ALICE and you're unlikely to get a fake, There are too many real ones on the market cheap for anybody to bother faking them as designed. If you see something advertised as Small, avoid it as it's a commercial copy for yuppies.

A Large is likely real BUT! A large is much larger and requires the use of a frame.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have a Camelbak HAWG in black 500D its 25L. It has an organiser pouch on the front and Molle on the sides to allow you to increase the volume. Included is a 3L Omega Camelbak Reservoir with cleaning and drying kit, used but its been scrubbed and cleaned with Camelbak products. Let me know if you're interested.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I picked up an ex army Karrimor Predator 40ltr I think for £30 on eBay. It's a great pack, you might find someone who'd ship to Japan??

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm not sure of your budget, Kifaru gear is waaaay out of mine. But the 5.11 Rush 12 will please you a great deal. The numbers on 5.11 bags indicate how many hours they're built for, so the 12 is a 24ltr daysack. It doesn't have rocket pockets on the side (which snag on stuff anyway), but the molle system allows you to attach any compatible pockets if you need too. Really well built, really well designed, and looks great in Sandstone.

[video=youtube_share;m8m6Y1jyVRA]http://youtu.be/m8m6Y1jyVRA[/video]

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The 5.11 stuff is pretty epic. It's well worth checking them out too. The molle system means add ons too if needed in the future,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE