I'm going small and thin

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
With blades of course. I've never had a knife with a blade longer than 6'', other than kitchen knives and have always preferred my hunting and bushcraft blades in the 4'' range, give or take. I do have an intense dislike of knives with thick blades, hence my choices below.

I find than unless I'm skinning/gutting etc, that I use a small blade far more often than a larger and heavier one. And since I always carry an axe, the blade size can be quite small and thin and still serve my normal daily needs very well. So, for everyday general purpose use, I have decided to downsize, by a lot.

To that end, I have decided on two knives that are very different from what I've ever used in the past. Selling off a few other knives that saw no use has allowed me to fund my new experiment.
Both have been ordered but will not arrive for some time. Naturally, I'm anxious to get them and see if I'm going to regret my choices or not, and hopefully both will meet my expectations.

Now, the knives. Both are made by Bark River. Though somewhat similar, they are two completely different knives.
First is this one: BRKT Bird and Trout
Some specs:
Overall Length: 8in/20.32cm
Blade Length: 3.6in/9.14cm
Blade Steel: CPM S35VN
Blade Thickness: .065 in/1.6mm
Weight: 2.5 oz
Hardness: 59-60RC
Handle: Stag Bone
bt_elk_289_95.sized.jpg

And the other is the BRKT Ultra-Lite Bushcrafter, shown here

Time will tell whether I'll like them or if they'll go the route of so many others before, played with a bit, only to find out they weren't what I was expecting and so were sold.
Let me know your thoughts on these two, and whether I've wasted my money.
If I did, it won't be the first time nor the last:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
try thin but stiff, the flex in a blade weakens the edge through metal fatigue, remember that edge is very very thin. If you put a notch or dent in an edge the rolling will be self evident, the same with a fractured edge, a sak has a 3mm spine to keep it nice n stiff.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
try thin but stiff, the flex in a blade weakens the edge through metal fatigue, remember that edge is very very thin. If you put a notch or dent in an edge the rolling will be self evident, the same with a fractured edge, a sak has a 3mm spine to keep it nice n stiff.

I agree with you about flexing causing weakening of a blade over time, but I do wonder how filleting knives don't break. Would it be because the steels used are possibly softer?:confused:
What sak model has a spine thickness of 3mm? Not doubting you, just curious, as any I've had were quite thin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE