I'm being stalked... by a cat.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
I'll be honest, if a dog managed to get into my garden with eldest cat, my money is on the cat. I'm not going to say I know what my cat does all day because that would be a load of carp, but as I live in a suburban area where the closest open land is a field at the back of my house which local yobs use to race there crossers, and as regard to song birds that people "encourage" is not a turn of phrase you would use in my area. Yes the cats have killed birds but don't we also class suburban pigeons as vermin? And im pretty sure cats poo is the least of parents worry round are way, with teenage pregnancy, drugs, violence, theft etc. Maybe in a rural area or the upper class areas they may do those things.

Like I said, they are not every ones cup of tea.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
i can remember the other year i went up cumbria for a week in a cottage in the middle of nowere, the first night i went out the back door for i quick smoke it was pitch black and silent i was stood about five foot from the wall of the field when the light came on in the kitchen behind me all i saw about a hundred pairs of eyes reflecting back at me(cows)talk about jump out my skin.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
ha ha ,...cows are a bit daft tho arent they?

is it the thousands of years of intensive breeding ?, but they seem to just be grass munching machines running on very little other than instinct,..

trying to move one was like "hello" *waves hand in front of cows eyes*

i gave up in the end, they ate all my dalias,

Sophielou10

Aug 18, 2010
england
i have my own cat but shes old an i used to help her protect her terrotory (eg my garden) as i worryed about her getting hurt. shes a soft little thing and never leaves my garden. i do chase and hiss at this cat when it gets to close to the house but its damn scary when the first thing in the morning and the last thing at night, is a cat staring at you.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm start with a hose pipe and nice powerful nozzle, then work your way up from there.

The thing has no right to be in your garden antagonising your pet. Its only there because its owner cannot be bothered to keep their pet under proper control.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
We've had cats for as long as i can remember.

Our cat is a cracking mouser, Over the last few weeks he's brought home over a dozen and left em on the doorstep, I've managed to save a few and released em a few miles away from where we live, It's not the dogs i dislike but some irresponsible owners that dont pick up after them, especially in the parks where kids play.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
We used to have a pest sitting on the back garden fence that the dogs used to just sit and watch, I kept finding it or others of its kind poo on the grass, The cat got the shock of its life though, when it tried its luck and jumped onto the grass when my two pups were sat watching it, after a quick chase it hopped back up on top of the fence where it turned round to find a 35kg lab\lurcher stood atop the fence staring right at it, My girl dog loves agility class, the cat didn't come back and i very rarely found cat on the grass again, good girl!!

Last edited:

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
firstly i have to admit i am a dog man through and through i cant stand cats, but if you cant discreetly get rid of them permanently theres a product you can buy from pet shops and garden centres that you sprinkle over your garden that cats, and unfortunately dogs are supposed to hate .....even after its rained its still supposed to work.

Bush Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2009
New Forest
Our cat stalks at least 4 of our neighbours and one shop owner that I know about - roughly anyone who will feed her!

A slightly crazy neighbour knocked on our door one day to inform us that she couldn't stop our cat going in her house (2nd floor flat) and that she liked 'salmon, chicken and prawns' - could we feed her more please? After picking myself up from the floor dying of laughter I asked if I could pop round for dinner as well, then pointed out the still full bowl of cat food and suggested she didn't let her in!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Cat mess in the garden is a lot less of a problem than some overbred mutt biting your or someones elses kid's face off. Throughout the civilised world, most governments have in place control methods for dangerous and uncontrolled or uncontrollable animals, which is why you don’t often see them on the streets. They are not called pest control for nothing, as kids we called them dog snatchers.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
This big cat used to sit on my patio and wash its rear in plain sight of my two lurchers.

Well......

That was until one day it did it not realising the patio door was actually open....

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Yep. the dogs.

Friends, companions, security, warmth and occasionally rabbits.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hmmm - complaining about cats doing their business in one's garden, and killing/scaring off all the "wild" birds they have been encouraging.

Must be hell fitting all the wild birds with nappies to stop them doing their business in the same place the cats do..........................................

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Birds don't generally cause toxoplasmosis, tuberculosis, Helicobacter pylori (ulcer causing), Bartonella henselae, salmonella, pasteurella, ringworm, streptococcus etc.

Considering the tuberculosis alone - if its right to cull badgers, which might infect cows which might infect humans, how is it right to inflict cats on other humans when there is no effective immunisation for cats and they are an acknowledged disease vector?

I have no problem if people want to keep them, just this notion that letting them roam around and mess , kill etc in other peoples gardens. Its ridiculously irresponsible and anti social.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'm sorry, but now this is just getting ridiculous. You could fill pages listing the diseases and venoms carried by wild animals - presumably no-one ventures into the outdoors, or allows their kids to leave their hermetically sealed house, because of this? And lets not forget that wood-smoke has been definitively proven to be both carcinogenic and bad for the respiratory system.

Guess all them there bushcrafters have all got a death-wish - maybe someone should go onto a bushcrafting website to warn them of how much danger they're in:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE