I'm back

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Red

I am not a good story teller, so I'll give you one and not embarrass myself with writing any more of them. :)

I was up in the morning, going down to the lake, it was covered with ice for the most part. I knew there was an active beaver lodge there so I went sneaking about through the woods into the wind, constantly looking at the banks and on the ice for activity. After a while I saw a beaver, on the ice, about 150 meters away. I carefully went across a bog, the beaver went down swimming again. I thought that that was it, that it had spotted me. But after a few minutes in the water it went back up on the ice again. I was now laying behind a tree, the distance was still quite long, but there was no opportunity for getting any closer, so I aimed with my rifle onto it's head and fired.

After the shot the beaver immidiately turned on it's back then started to spasm and fell back into the water. I was afraid some current might take it under the ice, so I ran to get a ladder, to safely get out on the ice. It's pretty shallow there, but the water had a less than comfortable temperature. The beaver was quite far away from the shore and I gradually worked myself out to it, while the ice was cracking underneath me. I came all the way out to the beaver without incident. But... As I leaned out with my hooked stick to try to get the beaver on the ice I suddenly saw the ice disappearing underneath me... hehe It was very shallow, about waist high, but it took nearly 10 minutes to wade back since now the ice was weakened all the way I couldn't get back on. When I finally came ashore, my reindeer parka was soaked on the arms and lower portions and my reindeer leg skin boots were so wet that it took nearly a week to dry them! (they need to be dried slowly) Was a medium sized beaver, I'd guess 15kg. The bullet had gone through the head behind the eyes so they popped out. Dead instantly.

Btw, beaver tastes great, but is the most difficult animal I have skinned yet. With each beaver I am using less time. Aiming for half an hour. First time I used 5 hours or something (I am very careful about the meat and skin quality). After four beavers I can do one in an hour.

Edit: I actually have some pics of this hunt. I'll show them later.

Only ones I could find on the fly:
beaver.jpg

IMG00004-20100420-20041.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE