Im back!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Not that anyone remembers me.
A few weeks ago (only just got internet working) I came back from my 6 month trip.
Me my mum dad and little sister set out on our travelling adventure, we left britain on the 16th of october last year and arrived in moscow on the 20th after spending 4 days in Berlin. We saw the sights in moscow, (kremlin, st.basils cathedral and red square, GUM). Moscow was not very nice at all, it was cold,wet,grey,drab,and lifeless. for our 3 evening m,eals in moscow we had; Nothing,a very expensive burger and some cabbage porridge cooked by a more-than-slightly-mad vegan woman in the hostel kitchen. When we got on the trans-siberean express, none of us were sad to leave moscow.

4 days on a train in a small box with my family, leaving only to go to the toilet (which the special-name-begining-with-p woman locked when ever we pulled into a station) to get boiling water for pot-noodles, and pop outside for 10 minutes of fresh air, (only to be mobbed by russians selling weird-looking fish). Because we had a compartments to ourselves (they hold four so we had our own) we could play monopoly and yatzee and scrabble, or just whatch the endless birch forests and farm feilds pass by.

Then we arrived in lake bikal, where I think we spent 2 nights, in a lodge complex in a small village by the lake the accomodation was intended mainly for russians in the summer rather than travellers in the autumn the man that ran it didnt speak much english and in the little wooden cabins we stayed in there were pictures of him and his friends out hunting.

There wasnt much in this village, a post office and a cafe selling 3-in-1 coffee (which tastes delicious when your frozen totally solid) we walked the lake bikal museum and saw the amazing bikal seals. Omal is a type of fish only found in lake bikal, there are seven subspecies each spawning in a differnt river that leads into lake bikal, which I think is amazing. We also went on a short walk up to the birch woods, where we got some blurry photographs of a woodpecker, and there were two russians on a horse galloping back and forth on the mobile phones (weird).

Then after having a competition with my had to see who could keep there hand in the freezing water (which is cleaned by a special seaweed and can be drunk) we had to agree to pull our hands out at the same time, we walked back (across a frozen stream with russian children biking on it). we went to bed. the next day we walked to the bus stop and had a short scenic cruise on a tourist boat which was very pleasant, before catching the bus to irkuts where we spent the night in a hostel with a huge reinforced metal door .

We got up at 5 am, leaving the breakfast the hostel secretary had left us, we stood outside by a liceour (sp?) store with drunk russians still stumbling in and out and caught a taxi to the station. It turns out that russian clocks change! we had got up at 5 for a train at six but the train didnt leave for 2 hours because 5 was 4... what are the chances!

Got on the train, headed for the border, border checks and then...

Mongolia

p.s
Had to right this out 3 times because of dodgey battery
p.p.s
Oh, and the doors on the trans-siberean express compartments and toilets were not intended to be locked but because we had our own compartments, we used a plastic yellow gas meter key to lock out compartment.
p.p.ps
Thanks for reading it!
p.p.p.ps
Still not back to school yet after several weeks, unlike my sister Ive had to go through the proper channels to get back into my school, so I`ve been biking around the local countryside with a sandwich and os map some days, and doing absolutly nothing other days. today I think Ill bike!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It sounds like you had an interesting time Greenleaf, looking forward to hearing some more.

I didn't enjoy Moscow either and was glad to be leaving the next day. Nothing to do with Leeds losing 2-1 of course ;)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
that sounds like a great trip for someone your age i would love to hear/read all about it so please try to take some time before you get back into school to write about your experiences others your age i can assure you will find them inspirational.

all from a year 10 form tutor

ow and BTW carry on with the maps and the bike one of the best educations you can get i recon it made me who I am

When you get a place at school If you need any help getting back in to it shout and I'll see what i can do to help

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE