IGLOO

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I lived in Fargo, North Dakota when I was a little kid. Dad and my two grandpas built our house from the dirt up.
We had one kitchen window which could be taken off from inside the house. The blizzard drifts blocked the doors
until Dad got out to shovel a hall-way for the back door! Several times.

I saw drifts in the spring on the farm that went up to the second storey windows of the farm house.
We weren't allowed to tunnel in it in case of cave ins. Some farm kids got killed that way.

Igloo tops are a spiral with the snow blocks jammed against the previous ones and the edges bevelled for a good fit.
I don't think that it's easy to build one by yourself.

Took me a while to imagine what a "snow-compactor box" must be used for. We just saw the blocks out of the drifts.
The "squeak" is little snow particles with all the corners rounded off. Surface friction melting even in a blizzard sticks them to each other
like snow after an avalanche sets up like concrete in 20-30 minutes. I guess the disturbance packing your boxes does that as well.

Next avalanche snow texture course is in Jasper in January. We have them here from time to time.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
http://grandshelters.mybigcommerce.com/icebox-igloo-tool/
I'm not sure this was the kit I saw in TGO magazine but it's one form I have found online. It's probably not needed for those who have made igloos before but I can see how it could help complete beginners. If you're not from areas known for snow (England) then go out to places with snow this could start you off in the right direction on building them.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I guess it works well for totally different snow quality, wet and compressible.
Here, we can just saw the pieces and dry fit them together with the correct bevelled faces.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Wet snow - yes. Frozen compacted or powder - no.

Cool to have and build an igloo in the garden, but I do not think I would like to carry that thing with me into the mountains!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Powder takes a lot more friction from agitation before it metamorphoses to set up hard like the run-out from an avalanche.
Even a wind drifted slab sitting on weak sugar will take off.
That's no more than 30 minutes to set up hard here. Avalanche probes have to be so skinny.

If my grandsons were a lot closer, I think I'd build a form from burlap and freight pallets to hope it got buried, igloo-style.
We actually got new snow in the night, still coming down but maybe 10-15cm at most.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think we got plowed out once back in early November and there's been nothing in the village until last night.

There's high country between here and the city, the windrows along the highway can be 8' some years.
Wasn't ankle deep Wednesday driving home. Lots and lots and lots of moose/elk/deer tracks
so it hadn't snowed there for a long time.

Sled-heads say there's now maybe 5-6' up top and you still have to watch for rocks.
Should be 30' deep with more on the way.
Given the slope angles, risky to play in, even out in the open, unless you're on a ridge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE