If you had to choose just one...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
This is a post for those of us who have more than one knife. If you had to choose just one out of your selection of fixed blade knives, which would you choose and why?

Assume that you need it for the usual range of bushcrafty jobs, dealing with fire, butchery, craft projects like spoons, bowls and camp craft.

Any pictures to illustrate your points would be most welcome and interesting!

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
This is a post for those of us who have more than one knife.

I'm guessing that's 99.9% of the people on this forum then :D

I'd choose my John Nowill Survival Knife (MOD Survival Knife) because it can do everything that I tend to do in the woods - trap making, shelter building, prizing out fat wood, splitting fire wood, making feather sticks, game prep & skinning (clumsily), fighting bears...

I don't think it would be very good at carving, but I don't really do any carving anyway.
Here's a picture:
https://www.facebook.com/truesurvivor/photos/a.582287131813634.1073741825.391294397579576/582291235146557/?type=3&theater

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
After going in circles I have choosen one knife. My mora SS. Knife is a tool, Mora is build like a tool, priced like a tool and designed as a tool. I can use it for everything without a worry.

I would love to be able to cary one of D Budds works of art but then I would'n use it...

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
foto-3-4.jpg

My Skookum Bush Tool, small enough to take anywhere, light enough to carry in different ways, easy to sharpen, I can carve for hours without getting blisters, thick enough for battening, thin enough for delicate carving and so on. It is what it is, a Mora on steroids.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Assuming I'm only allowed one cutting tool, and it has to be a knife, based on what I own I'd have to go with something like my Cold Steel Trailmaster.

It's capable of tackling any of those tasks and sufficiently tough for me not to worry about breaking it. It's also big enough to give me peace of mind in some of the wilder parts of the world. It's too big for small precision tasks, but I can choke up on the spine and make do. It's not ideal, but a one tool option is never going to be good at everything. It's easy to sharpen too.

In reality though, I'm not like to be without an axe, so any fixed blade between about 3 and 6 inches will do just fine.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This is a post for those of us who have more than one knife. If you had to choose just one out of your selection of fixed blade knives, which would you choose and why?

Assume that you need it for the usual range of bushcrafty jobs, dealing with fire, butchery, craft projects like spoons, bowls and camp craft.....

To be fair, I only use my knife for butchery and assorted camp chores (out of those choices you gave) I don't use one for fire, and I don't carve.

I gotta ask one more question regarding the parameters: Is that one knife for anywhere in the world I might go? Or do I have the option of picking one knife for each specific area?

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Mine would have to be one I made myself from a cut down Cold Steel SRK in Carbon V - great steel and rebuilt to my own specs ... or my Eagle, or my Fieldcrafter, or my Dave Bud ... or one of the others....

kungaryfu

Jan 3, 2012
dorset
assuming my knife is my only tool, id have to go for my fallkniven A1, as its just big enough for chopping firewood but small enough for lighter tasks although would be quite hardwork carving with it i expect.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yes, you are allowed other tools; it's the knife I'm interested in.

Ahhh then the PFK

PFK by British Red, on Flickr

I would have an axe to chop, and a bucksaw to fell wood. A knife at that point needs to be a precise tool - not a great crude chopping thing.

Plus I have used that particular knife enough to sweat stain the wood :eek:

PFK Now by British Red, on Flickr

...which means I know it works.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE