If you can tie your own shoelaces, you can make this.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
This is a prototype of the Hammock-chair I designed to prevent an epidemic of numb-bums. It can be made in Human size using quite thin string. And ther are only three types of knots in it.
Now-go-away.jpg

So before you next venture out to the woods, get knotted. I mean knotting.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
arris looks comfy in it anyway, although i doubt anyone else will fit in the prototype. except maybe caroline.
over christmas we will have to work out the details of making and testing one to scale. next time i am home i will brong my camera tripod and show you how to take WIP photos showing how you do this. then we can put together a tutorial.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know, that could be fun :)
Wonder how many metres of paracord the hardened b'crafter would need to make their own bouncing chair ? Swiftly followed by intense discussion of suitable trees to hang it from. Could also be used as a huge great gathering bag for bracken or brash.

cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
And thing with crochet you use the right knots and pull the right thread and it can unzip, therefore retrieving the paracord for another use. I am presuming the hammock chair is some sort of crochet.

You could give us some more details on how you made it please rivermom.

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
hmm.... knots look like spiralling half hitches to me but that's just my guess

Wild

Well spotted, kid. It is called Macramé, and is just tying knots. No special equipment required, othe than a working brain. The spiraling knot is the one you use to tie your shoelaces. It spirals a central core, which is not knotted.
If you want the strap to stay straight and flat, you alternate knotting from the left with knotting from the right, and the tendencies to spiral cancels out.
The netting is simple overhand knots.
The loop is consolidated with half hitches.

To make the adult version takes a lot of string, but it is beautiful as well as functional. And I believe that when we make the effort to create things that are as beautiful as they are functional, we become better people for it. It is the difference between survival and living.

ecobandit

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
northumberland
straight,flat,overhand,spiral,left,right,consolidated,alternate,shoelaces,central core,halfhitches,pasta!!!!!!! all you need is a working brain lol ,yeah right!:confused::eek: :rolleyes: :banghead::puppy_dog :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
With a good knowledge of knots, you would be able to make even more beautiful chairs than i can. Have a go and see what you can come up with.
But I am very bad at knots. I can just about tie my shoelaces, which is why I used the easiest knots in my design. And if I can do it, anyone can.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Hmmmm, I notice that Aristotle has been rather quiet on the subject, perhaps he can't bear to discuss it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE