If you are of a nervous disposition...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lostdog

Sep 23, 2004
Stirling
I learnt a very valuable lesson yesterday of how not to do something!

Having used all of the kindling that I split sometime last summer (I have a solid fuel fire in my house) I decided it would be a good idea to split a whole load more whilst the weather was good yesterday afternoon. It also gave me a chance to use my new Gransfors Small Forest Axe.

I was almost finished splitting the logs that I had selected for kindling (Birch) when the block that I was splitting them on gave up the ghost and split in half itself (rotten). Rather than find another block to finish splitting the logs on I decided to use one of the halfs... bad move.

I put the last log on the block lifted the axe in my right hand and started to bring it down towards the log. At that point the log and block started to topple and instinctively/stupidly put my left hand out to catch them. I started to stop my swing but the with the weight of the axe in one hand I couldn't. The axe glanced off the toppling log and bit into my index finger on my left hand. :yikes:

Thankfully not too much damage was done as it was really only the weight of the axe that was behind the cut. I did however manage to cut a small vein in my finger resulting in me having to keep my hand above my head for 1/2 an hour to stop the bleeding and I am now sporting a small dressing.

Just thought I would share this with everyone as a valuable reminder that you should always have your mind fully on the job and should never take shortcuts with something as potentially dangerous as an axe. :nono:

It wasn't until after I'd dressed the cut that I realised how lucky I was. I could easily have lost a finger :shock:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Glad your ok mate and thanks for sharing that with us - good example of how easy it is to injure yourself with an axe. You were lucky that could easily have cost you a finger or worse.

A timely reminder that an axe is not a toy.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Lucky Man, glad your ok, just highlights the fact that axes are a serious bit of kit and as gary says not a toy! one seconds lack of concentration could cost you a digit with no effort at all :shock: never use an axe when tired or with insufficient light, good fire prep is good practice imo, and always split on a stable base as its any ones guess where a glancing blow could end up.Stay Safe :wink:

Lostdog

Sep 23, 2004
Stirling
I know most people say that one of the best ways of learning is from your mistakes. I don't agree in this case! :naughty:

Perhaps a case of learning from others mistakes.

That aside it's a lesson I'll never forget. (It makes me feel slightly faint thinking about what could have happened :shock: )

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Fair play for bringing that out in the open Mate....we all do daft things from time to time but few of us admit it :wink:

Hope your finger heals up nicely....should do from a sharpe axe!!!!

I did a similar thing with a large felling axe while splitting wood for our log burner at home...I'd been at it for about 3 hours and must have got too cocky....I actually missed the block completely and the axe hit my foot!!! Luckily I had steel toecaps on so no harm done but it was a wake up and reminder for me to pay more attension and more importantly....stop and rest.

I now won't chop for more than an hour until I stop for 15 minutes and have a coffee....

Those signs on Motorways about tiredness killing apply to axes too!!! :p

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Isn't there an old saying that goes something like "cut yourself with a knife and you'll have a nice scar but cut yourself with an axe and you might only be able to count up to nine" ... well, maybe not, but there should be.

The number of ways that you can have an ax-ident with an axe is horrifying and it isn't for no reason that small, medium and large axes are known as knee-splitters, shin-splitters and toe-splitters respectively.

As someone who has had an ax-ident (left hand, top, above the index finger, down to the moving parts) I can confidently attest to the power of an axe even when used with little power.

Every time I pick up an axe I prepare for an ax-ident by having a first aid kit handy ... just in case.

Hope you mend soon! :biggthump

Lostdog

Sep 23, 2004
Stirling
Adi007 said:
Isn't there an old saying that goes something like "cut yourself with a knife and you'll have a nice scar but cut yourself with an axe and you might only be able to count up to nine" ... well, maybe not, but there should be.

The number of ways that you can have an ax-ident with an axe is horrifying and it isn't for no reason that small, medium and large axes are known as knee-splitters, shin-splitters and toe-splitters respectively.

As someone who has had an ax-ident (left hand, top, above the index finger, down to the moving parts) I can confidently attest to the power of an axe even when used with little power.

Every time I pick up an axe I prepare for an ax-ident by having a first aid kit handy ... just in case.

Hope you mend soon! :biggthump
:rolmao: :rolmao:

Adi no offence is meant by this remark but it would appear that your axe is second only in sharpness to your wit :nana:

On a serious note though, thankyou all for your concern for my finger but really I think I deserve your scorn for what was a forseeable ax-ident (reproduced by kind permission from Adi007) that was entirely my own fault :nono:

jakunen

Native
Ah, but you see that's why you don't deserve scorn. You admit that YOU made the mistake. You admit hat YOU should have been paying more attention.

You didn't blame the stump, you didn't blame the axe. You took responsibility for your own action. Ok, it was a daft thing to do, but you admit it.:ekt:

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Everyone makes a mistake - mine was with a billhook. The pain's never as bad as the the sitting there thinking about what nearly happened. I took a clumsy blow, bounced it and I should have been wearing a glove. Thankfully the blow landed between the metacarpal bones not across them.

You'll probably never make a mistake with an axe again.

How does one treat a near severing in the field?

Realgar

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
OUCH! :shock:

Hmm, a similar incident comes to mind - last year, the day after an August bank holiday weekend party, a certain very tired and hung over individual decided to prune the yew in front of our house, using some nice new Felco secateurs... Suffice it to say that he wasn't paying enough attention and managed to slice his finger and not the branch he had meant to... :nono:

Luckily it wasn't too bad, although quite deep I was able to butterfly stitch it and get a dressing on... :)

jakunen

Native
Realgar said:
How does one treat a near severing in the field?

Realgar

Ok, so long as its nothing too large (we never dealt with whole limbs).

First priority is to raise the affected limb to reduce blood flow. If you have butterfly stitches or sutures use those to close the wound. If not then use any suitable tape. If not tape, wrap cobwebs around it and bind with cloth.
Seek medical help ASAP.

I personally carry a tub of a special dressing that is self adhering and has been used for such accidents. Was recommended by a friend who was a paramedic. Crazy thing was, the only place I found to buy the dressing was one of those catalogues you get through the post for house and garden bits. You know the ones, with the useless tool kits and ribbeting frog ornaments...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE