If Urine is sterile....?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
rectal infusion is the second fastest way of getting fluids into the bloodstream after IV and before ingestion as the large intestine is the last stage of digestion and is where fluids are removed. stale, salty or brackist water can be used. nothing can be as hostile as the stuff thats in there allready. if the water is too hostile then your bowel will soon let you know just like that morning trip after the 8 pints fustons old wobbler the night before.

battlefield medics will tell you that its often the most effective way to get fluids into a casualty when they are fully dressed or a vein is unavailable without resorting to cut down. temperature is less of an issue whereas a cold IV can cause shock. once an IV is drained then regular water can be used to save resources.

in '82 medics had no choice and casualties could be found by looking for white bottoms in the undergrowth with tubes sticking out of them. I guess any shock issues would be down to having something going the wrong way as anyone who's had a prostate exam will confirn :)

seeing as we work around knife axe and saw in areas often hard to get to then a basic knowledge of fluid replacement can be a lifesaver if sometimes unpleasant from heatstroke to bleed outs a camelbak type set up can make usefull blood expander out of anything from rainwater to cold tea. coffee wouldn't be a good move as it is used as an enema :eek:

anyone who has seen colonic irrigation will know that you can get a surprising amount up there before you have to stick a cork in :tapedshut

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
cant say I've ever liked the idea of drinking it but clear urine is supposedly isotonic

Not true. It may or may not be isotonic. The kidneys can make a urine that is either more concentrated than the blood plasma (up to 4x more concentrated) or more dilute than the blood plasma (1/10 as concentrated in solutes).

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
thats fairly old hat and chemically doable since the 60's you just dont drink the sludge at the bottom of the bottle :eek:

they could also desicate their poo but its probably more fun to turn it into meteorites :)

luddy

Oct 27, 2008
SW
Creatinine is toxic, although not as much as urea. If your kidneys are still working well, it wouldn't be a problem the first couple of times you drank your own urine. (There's a hollywood fad for urine-drinking!). The amount of creatinine in your bloodstream varies quite a bit with age and sex (which sort, not how often!). A young muscular man would have a lot more creatinine than an elderly woman. It's the rate at which you clear the creatinine that's an indicator of health, not the amount in your bloodstream.

BTW, many years ago, when I worked as a biochemist, we used Picric Acid as a reagent to test for serum creatinine. The crystals were used in WW1 as an explosive in shells - it's explosive under pressure. My hands were always stained yellow with this stuff (pre health and safety days!) and it was a great party trick to clap my hands and produce cracks and sparks. Quite a few toilet seats got the picric acid treatment, too.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Been drinking it for years, after all everything that pees' releases it into the atmosphere, and thenit ends up back in the water supply, I guess I have taken everything from human to T-Rex, hasn't done me any harm--------Yet!

for a lot of things. Great for urchin ****** and minor wound cleaning is followed with other more main 'stream' methods. No pun intended. I just dont **** is creeks cause it feels disrespectful to me, I dont watch many animals do it.

Like someone noted, urine leaves the body for a reason.

gs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE