If not Hemlock Water Dropwort, then what?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 8, 2014
Kent
Hello everyone.

I thought I had correctly identified this as Hemlock Water Dropwort, thanks to its position near running water and its parsley-like leaves. Now, thanks to those long upper bracts and the shape of its little umbels, I'm not so sure. Does anyone know what it is?
p1030116.jpg

Thanks!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fool's parsley.
It's poisonous.

You can tell it by the smell and by the long bracts that hang down under the flowerheads.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looking again at your photo though, and not just a quick glance....the hanging bracts on fool's parsley are quite distinct the way they hang down, and those ones aren't.

http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Aethusa+cynapium

Not sure. Sorry.

It's not wild carrot, that has a bristley flower stem.
It's not wild parsnip which has a yellow flower.
It's not ordinary parsely which has no bracts hanging or surrounding.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2014
Kent
Yes I've been thinking that, too. I will need to make a little trip back to Canterbury to find out. Next time i'm in the city I'll go sniffing around.

Jun 8, 2014
Kent
Thanks Harvestman. I do find a description of Oenanthe lachenalii that mentions long bracts, but Oenanthe lachenalii doesn't seem to have the parsley-like, HWD-like leaves that my find did. In fact the leaves of Oenanthe lachenalii are apparently 'narrow' and 'sparse', so I think we can rule it out in this case. Thank you though!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, that one has yellow flowers.

Broad leaved chevril has flower spreads with the green bract bits coming up through like that OP though.
Chaerophyllum aromaticum - Broad-leaved Chervil

M

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thanks Harvestman. I do find a description of Oenanthe lachenalii that mentions long bracts, but Oenanthe lachenalii doesn't seem to have the parsley-like, HWD-like leaves that my find did. In fact the leaves of Oenanthe lachenalii are apparently 'narrow' and 'sparse', so I think we can rule it out in this case. Thank you though!

Yeah, the leaves had me worried there too. I was guessing. I still favour a water dropwort, but I really don't know.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Right, I asked the county botanist for gwent what this is and she said that it is hemlock water drop wort and the long bracts are entirely normal. So your first instinct was right.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well I've just hauled out three of mine, one specifically on white umb's which are now apparantly known as Apiaceae now, and they all say purple splotches and no mention of the greenery in the flower head.

Maybe they're very young ones ? and if we saw the whole plant we might think it more the HWD ? The flowers do spread out as they get older, ending up sometimes 15cms across.

:dunno:

I'd like to see enough detail to fix it clearly in my mind though.

There are only four poisonous white ones in the country; I'd really rather get them right :D

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE