If I could choose only 1 item......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
If you pick up just about any survival/outdoors type book you will generally find the following line or something similar

"If you could choose only 1 item for your kit it would have to be a knife"

Now this is something I have been thinking about for a few months now and I have been seriously wondering about this.
I live in Eastern Europe where although the population is sparse by British standards you are still never that far away from someone else. As such any survival situation is likely to be in the 24-48 hours category not the multiple days type.
Thinking about this what are the biggest risks to life in that time? I came up with the following
  • Hypothermia (winter at -20)
  • Accident or Injury
  • Dehydration
Accidents happen however much you have and well planned you are. The goal of planning is to reduce the chance and risk to be minimal and have a strategy for what if.
Dehydration is unlikely to be a big problem in a temperate area but it is still a noteworthy issue.
Hypothermia is in my view the biggest threat here and what is the best way to combat it? Fire! I don't have the skill to do fire by friction and I'd rather have a method which can be done with numb fingers.
As such I have decided a method of starting a fire is probably my most important tool. The fire would also give me a type of cutting tool (by burning through objects) and when combined with hands, teeth and bashing things (an underated method of doing stuff :D )
Maybe I'm wrong but I'd love to here what others think on this subject as I think it is quite interesting even if only a hypothetical situation.
:thanks:

Reactions: Toddy
H

Heathenpeddler

You have a good point there. There's also the other aspect of fire - night-time signalling. And daytime, if you get some green smoky stuff.

Perhaps something along the lines of a ferro rod & striker/small blade, lighter/survival matches and some form of easy-lighting tinder. (As a smoker I'd probably be well covered on basic firemaking kit anyway lol)

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I suppose it depends on the context

Most of the books i have read on the subject agree, take the knife. But that would be for example:

You are canoeing down a river and your canoe is about to capsize, what's the one thing you grab before you ditch? :confused:

Now in my case i would say yes, take the knife. But that is because my knife consists of, knife, sheath, firestick, sharpening stone, a good length of paracord and a whistle tied to it. :D

With that i could build a rudimentary shelter, start a fire and attract attention.
I agree that in most parts of Europe you are likely to be found in under 3 days and that fire does indeed provide all the benifits that you have listed.

If we were tallking about 1 piece of equipment then yes i think i may join you for that firemaking equipment as like you i have yet to master fire by friction.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
It does depend on what you mean by kit. My first choice would be clothing like a good pair of boots and warm coat but if you're assuming you're dressed right for the environment I think I may well take the knife over a lighter; they're just so useful for all sorts of tasks and if you learn fire by friction then the knife is definitely first right? I’d even take a compass or a map over a lighter most of the time.

But given most peoples outdoor experiences aren't in true wilderness areas I reckon a mobile phone might come first most of the time! :rolleyes:
:)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I still think a knife, but one of these...

sak006.jpg

The saw would enable you to cut a fair few branches and saplings, quickly and easily to build a shelter, the knife allows you to shape the wood to build a firebow or any number of tools. I do agree that being able to make fire by friction is pretty essential. Perhaps learning how to do that would make the choice easier?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
In the case of the old hypothetical question: "What one bit of kit would you take", where all the books say a knife I have to say I've often thought I'd much rather have an axe....I can do a lot with an axe ;)

Just my own personal choice :)

Bam. :D

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
bambodoggy said:
In the case of the old hypothetical question: "What one bit of kit would you take", where all the books say a knife I have to say I've often thought I'd much rather have an axe....I can do a lot with an axe ;)

Just my own personal choice :)

... or compromise on a leuku?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
arctic hobo said:
... or compromise on a leuku?

Definately....I've really been putting mine through it's paces lately and am VERY impressed with it....in fact I'm not even sure it's that much of a compromise for what I might need it for.

Cheers Chris :)

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
I think if I were doing the sorts of things that might put me in a survival situation, I'd practice fire by friction 'till I got it before I went - then I think I'd probably take the axe.

Without F by F, I think some kind of firelighter - yes, I've skinned a rabbit very comfortably with a flint and I reckon I'm more likely to find a flint or similar laying about than a Zippo!

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
i would't even try a bow drill at -20! i can do it when it's sunny but at that temp
it's time to call in hi tec ways a jet lighter-zippos run out too fast
i smoke so i know if your going to pick one it's a light!
better to be siting by a fire then siting there with a knife wishing you had one
fire is the key to life without a home- a lot of doors are locked with out it-keeping warm
makeing water safe
food too
tools-what came first the coal forge to make it or the knife?
i have a fire steel on my keys and a lighter n a sak 24/7
i love my knifes but if i could only pick one it would be a fire lighter
karl

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
kb31 said:
i would't even try a bow drill at -20! i can do it when it's sunny but at that temp
it's time to call in hi tec ways a jet lighter-zippos run out too fast
i smoke so i know if your going to pick one it's a light!
better to be siting by a fire then siting there with a knife wishing you had one
fire is the key to life without a home- a lot of doors are locked with out it-keeping warm
makeing water safe
food too
tools-what came first the coal forge to make it or the knife?
i have a fire steel on my keys and a lighter n a sak 24/7
i love my knifes but if i could only pick one it would be a fire lighter
karl

I would guess that in the history of man, basic tool use predates mastery of fire. That probably includes some kind of stone cutting tool.

I would also rank shelter as more important than fire in the first instance. What if you were stranded in the middle of a week long torrential downpour?

E

Enok

If i could take 1 thing it would have to be a reliable method of fire lighting. Fire enables you to purify water, cook food and it keeps you warm and scares away dangerous wild animals although i do agree that shelter is important

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Martyn said:
I still think a knife, but one of these...

sak006.jpg

The saw would enable you to cut a fair few branches and saplings, quickly and easily to build a shelter, the knife allows you to shape the wood to build a firebow or any number of tools. I do agree that being able to make fire by friction is pretty essential. Perhaps learning how to do that would make the choice easier?

Is that the locking saw,non locking blade version?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
BorderReiver said:
Is that the locking saw,non locking blade version?

Is there such a thing as a locking saw, non locking knife? If so is it a legal EDC length? Thats a useful looking knife (although strangely I find the scissors useful on my SAK - other than that it looks a good combination of tools). Be interested to know which model it was anyway

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE