ID's (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sim23_10

May 25, 2008
Suffolk
While out in the woods today i stumbled across a load of different fungi that I hadn't seen before (i'm new this isn't a rare occurrence). Can anyone tell me what any of these are and if they have a use. (sorry for the poor quality pics, taken on a phone, can go and take better ones if required)

Photo-0064.jpg

Photo-0060.jpg

Photo-0061.jpg

Photo-0062.jpg

Photo-0063.jpg

Photo-0065.jpg

May 24, 2008
Weston Super Mare
the first one is the only I recognise and its a cramp ball fungus. This when dreid can be used to hold an ember. To use it you scape some off into a powder and strike sparks onto it. When glowing put on top off the fugus and blow gently. THe ember should burn ito it and you can transport the glowing ember. I have used this method and does work well.

I do not know the others. Hope this helps a little. By the way IT IS NOT EDIBLE.

Sim23_10

May 25, 2008
Suffolk
thanks for that i had a suspicion thats what it was.

also forgot to say that number 2 is a fluorescent orange, and number 6 was growing on a fallen silver birch.

(edit to add extra detail)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
1. what the other guy said
3 mycenella bryophila
4.very cautous agaricus augustus, they will mature over the next week. Any colour change when cut of bruised would have looked at.
5 witch's butter
6 errr it looks a bit like a moldy jaffa cake sorry

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
my guesses

1. as above
2. if fluorescent orange could be dacrymyces stillatus (orange jelly)
3, pass
4 definitely looks like an agaricus (early for the Prince?)
5. exidia glandulosa like what xylaria said
6. did someone drop their big mac?

If 4 is agaricus augustus (the prince) it is edible and good, but you'd what a much more certain ID

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
I thought 4 might be parasol mushroom, but you will need to wait to see how they develop as they can be mistaken for a number of poisonous ones.

If they are Parasol (early though) then they are excellent eating.

Sim23_10

May 25, 2008
Suffolk
Well have been out with the camera again today, still amazed by the biodiversity in my local woods (its fairly small too) and even though going out every day have yet to spend time in it over the past 3 weeks when I haven't found something new (and i haven't even started on the ground level plants or smaller mammals), so here goes with todays findings.

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

Photo-0051.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

Again ID, uses and the reason why it is that(distinguishing features)

thanks

Sim

fungi2bwith

Feb 27, 2008
hampshire
No. 7 looks like an old blusher. They are good eating when in good condition (but must be cooked). The striations on the ring help identify. However, don't take my word for it because there are some seriously poisonous look-a-likes.

No. 8 is a type of puff ball. If firm and white throughout it is a good edible. If it is solid white throughout you cannot really confuse it with anything nasty.

No. 10 looks like a dryads saddle. To be absolutely sure you can check the base of the stem which should have avery dark colouration. Although some people are doubtful of its use as an edible, I think they are very good when young.

NOTE: be very very careful if eating mushrooms identified on-line, there a plenty of good books to consult.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
No 7. Could be a Blusher, could be a Panthercap? I wouldn't touch it either way

No 8. Common Puffball. Edible, just don't confuse Puffballs with Earthballs which aren't edible.

No 9. Turkeytail. Not edible.

No 10. Dryad's Saddle. Edible when very young and tender.

No 11. LBJ. (Little brown job, probably a Mycena of some kind)

No 12. No idea, but I can guarantee it won't be worth trying to eat it.

Although this is fun trying to see what can be identified, I agree with fungi2bewith's comment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE