Identifying trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AdamSon

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Co. Durham
Hi everyone, I have always been an outdoor person, but never took the time to learn about different trees (shame on me I know), so could anybody please reccomend me a book that will teach me how to identify different trees and gives information on them?

I know there's this thing called the "Internet" but I would like to have a book I can take out with me, so if it fits in my pocket or pack that would be perfect.

Thanks!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The Dorling Kindersley guides are pretty good too. It is often good to have two books as they show different features. I have that and the Collins book.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
I have a book called "the easy way to tree recognition" which is essentially a flow chart of questions. Answers lead on to either more questions or to possible trees and their respective identifying features and description.

I think that it is pretty good for those who are learning.

Sent from my boggy hole using tapatalk 2

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Not a book I know but on the android market there's a application called Trees of Britain . I've found it very helpful. Although it takes up some space on your phone

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Buy an A3 artists pad, and make your own. Take a branch, at different times of the year, and stick them in the book. This is the method which Mors Kochanski recommends.
Be careful what tape you use though, as I had about 60 different species in one pad, a few years back and they all turned brown, or disintegrated throught the page.
This is the best way to learn, especially as my memory tends to get worse the older you get.

It's surprising how many tree species there are in the UK, especially in gardens. And whichever ID book you use, you will very quickly come across species which will leave you stumped. [badum badum]

Its more difficult than it appears.

IMG_0954.jpg

Last edited:

sycamour

Forager
Dec 10, 2012
south east
I,m also an avid user of the "trees of Britain" app, I have a number of field guides but have
learnt more since loading the app, than at any other time.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I once got the idea of making a wooden bowl from every species of tree growing wild or naturalised or in a public space in my home county of Gwent. I abandoned the idea when I realised that that meant more than 100 bowls, even without including hybrids and sub-species and large woody shrubs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE