Identifying a butterfly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Here, in New England, I associate two things with the coming of spring; the call of the mourning dove, and a small brownish butterfly. Now, I KNOW what a mourning dove looks like, I do NOT, however, know the name of this butterfly. It may even be a moth, for all I know. I just know that, as soon as it hits 40 degrees or so, these pop out all over. I got a closeup of one today, and am posting it here. Was wondering if anyone knows what it is called? Thanks!!

EDIT: Sorry, pic is here

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
oldsoldier said:
Here, in New England, I associate two things with the coming of spring; the call of the mourning dove, and a small brownish butterfly. Now, I KNOW what a mourning dove looks like, I do NOT, however, know the name of this butterfly. It may even be a moth, for all I know. I just know that, as soon as it hits 40 degrees or so, these pop out all over. I got a closeup of one today, and am posting it here. Was wondering if anyone knows what it is called? Thanks!!

EDIT: Sorry, pic is here

looks like the N. American "Mourning Cloak" butterfly

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Yup, so it does. Thanks! And, seeing as they winter in place, I now know why I see them at first thatw. Thanks for the quick reply!!!

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
No, no beaver. Beaver are nocturnal, unless disturbed, I believe. They are VERY shy animals. That was taken about 1:30 in the afternoon, and the pond still has ice on it. I've yet to see a beaver out while walking; I usually either hear them, or see their activity on the trail.
Yes, we have some wonderful places to go hiking locally. Fortunately, folks dont normally venture more than a mile down these trails, so quite often you find yourself alone in the peaceful woods.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
There are at least 2 large tile wall plaques many feet across of this butterfly on walls around Camberwell (near where I live). I had thought it was local smog adapted variant of another butterfly. But, I see now it is far more widely known.

Hiker

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2006
Liverpool
The Camberwell beauty is a scarce visitor to the British isles , it migrate,s from scandinavia and germany and has never been know to breed naturally in this country .

Its name comes from its original discovery at camberwell in 1748 , though it was know for years as the Grand surprise , probably because its such a rare sight in this country .

Beautiful butterfly ive never been lucky enough to see one in this country but i did seen one two years ago in northern Spain :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE