Identification please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Code 4

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2020
Shrewsbury

Code 4

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2020
Shrewsbury
Not Crocus, no flowers and all my Crocus flowered a while back. I might dig up a bunch and pot them. See what happens. I grow Chives in pots but not like these. My Chives are also in flower now. Maybe chance biting into one of the leaves. See if the other half's up to volunteer.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Looks like a crocus leaf

If they haven't flowered yet they're probably an autumn flowering variety

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There are fifteen species of crocus (but no natives) and they all have a pale/whitish mid-rib to the leaf. The Autumn Crocus (Crocus nudiflorus) is found occasionally in Shropshire - it was introduced by medieval monks (allegedly) - the leaves wither before the flowers appear in September. If I was a betting man, which I'm not, I'd put money on that :)

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I don't know what a wild Allium could hybridize with.
Agreed, in such a case it would be possible for the aromatic to disappear.
Check that shallow "flat" leaf = might be a collapsed hollow, some Alliums grow like that.
I buy bunches of little green onions for my kitchen. Many leaves are flattened but still hollow.

Given the leaf shape, must be a monocotyledonous plant, of some (distant?) relationship to lilies and such.
With the threat of livestock foraging, I agree that potting some of it is a good strategy.

In western Canada, there are many abandoned winter village sites used by First Nations for long times
Wanuskewin was occupied for more than 6,000 years.
The kitchen gardens still exist! Alliums are distinctly present in every one of them.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have no idea what it is (and as such my contribution to this thread is rather poor!), but i note that i have a load of what looks to be identical to the pictures above cropping up in various places over my lawn. At the moment I'm viewing it as some sort of weed and removing as much as i can!

Code 4

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2020
Shrewsbury
Thanks for all the comments. Tomorrow I will dig up both clumps and move to the garden. I think a lot of stuff is lost to grazing. I have a separate wildlife field but even that is opened up to sheep mid July. If I get any flowers this year I will post them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE