Ideas for retired fire hose please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
A bit late to the party.

I imagine that what a fire department throws out is still usable for farmers.

They have the pumps, need the diameters and lengths and indeed use them.

I guess they are also used in bigger landscaping enterprises.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Mr Mike, I was told by a fireman that the water is basically grey water and have had a discuss about the pump units which they through into lakes to run.
What do they care as it going onto a fire.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I was told by a fireman that the water is basically grey water
At least here "grey" water is non toilet sewage. I find it slightly difficult to think that you have dedicated system for that.

Here they use what ever is available meaning water from ponds etc. not drinking water but mostly not sewage either. In built up areas it is drinking water they use.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Mr Mike, I was told by a fireman that the water is basically grey water and have had a discuss about the pump units which they through into lakes to run.
What do they care as it going onto a fire.
Last I knew of it the fire hydrants in the UK are fed through the mains water supply to ensure there's sufficient pressure to guarantee a good supply to the fire pumps.

There's no separate 'grey water' supply. Everything from your house etc goes straight into the foul system. Rain water goes into surface water drainage and then into streams.

In areas of high density population there may be what's called 'combined' drainage which does what it says. Foul water is combined with surface water and it all ends up at the sewage treatment works.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
May be the case that the bod was meaning that the pumps used are rated for 'grey' water due to sediment and particulates if drawing water from rivers and ponds.

There is no way that sewage would get put through a fire hose and any of that equipment remain in service - that would be a major hazard to public health.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
They certainly fill up with mains water from outside our house every so often.

There was an article on the BBC about them trialling using "sewage" water, but further down the text it was clarified to mean "treated and UV-sterilised sewage water", so that sounds pretty much like what should go out onto our rivers.

Of course they can't use untreated sewage watr- we wouldn't have any firefighters left!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
There was an article on the BBC about them trialling using "sewage" water, but further down the text it was clarified to mean "treated and UV-sterilised sewage water", so that sounds pretty much like what should go out onto our rivers.
That is what's supposed to happen and most of the time does.

One of the problems is when there's extreme rainfall the system can't cope so the water companies are allowed to discharge 'storm surge' which is sewage that has undergone very basic treatment to remove 'solids'.

Another issue is the water companies have a failing system which can't cope with growing demand so corners are cut as has been seen when Thames Water pumped raw sewage into the Thames and ended up getting fined over £20 million

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Following on from the monkey idea I have nine little gorillas who could theoretically use some of it as swing seating. It has been used for exactly that in municipal play areas in days gone by. You need to splice the ropes to the hose at both sides rather than pass it through the pipe. If you don’t have your own primate tribe, swing seats could be saleable.

AND
I’ve just remembered we used it for the heads of fire beaters in Inverenen Forest.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE