Ideas for Photograph Competition Themes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
With 2023 being the 10th year the Photograph competition has been running (where does time go?) I thought I'd ask for suggestions from you on any themes you'd like to see for next years competion.

I've got some ideas but if there's a particular theme you'd like to see please say. I can't guarantee it'll be used, especially if I get more than 12 suggestions but there's always 2024 :)

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Birds of prey.
Mobile phone, so anyone without equipment can have a go.
Insects.
Trees.
Favourite season.
Weather.
Flight.
Bushcraft.
Light and dark.
Something Christmas themed for December.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks for the suggestions folks, it's appreciated.

For those suggesting a mobile phone theme there's already one month (and has been for a number of years) that's exclusively for pictures taken on mobile phones

Reactions: cbrdave

Souledman

Nov 14, 2020
Glasgow
I am frankly dismayed by this suggestion because I took the perfect photo for one of the existing themes after that month had passed…

I’m sure I can shoehorn it into another one though.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I am frankly dismayed by this suggestion because I took the perfect photo for one of the existing themes after that month had passed…

I’m sure I can shoehorn it into another one though.
:lmao: That's sods law.

You can always submit in next years January heat as the theme for that will be photographers choice :)

Reactions: Souledman

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Some great suggestions so far.
I fully agree a 'mobile phone' category is a must and maybe become a standing theme for each year? Again, for the all the reasons suggested.
Wildlife categories would be my preference.
I also think some more abstract themes would be good and allow flexibility in approach and more creativity. Perhaps themes along the lines of 'What I Should Have known', or 'They Mostly Come Out At Night', or 'Ever Onward', or 'Treasures'.
You get the idea.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
What about something really open to interpretation like a letter, a colour and a number. For example you could have "S, blue, 3" and people could post 3 sparrows with a blue sky behind or 3 speedwell flowers or Saturn taken with a 3 second shutter and blue filter.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I fully agree a 'mobile phone' category is a must and maybe become a standing theme for each year? Again, for the all the reasons suggested.
There's been a category for pictures taken exclusively on mobile phones (with various themes) since 2017 and will be continuing next year :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It has been a previous theme though several years ago so no need apologise. It's a handy reminder that I could re-use it again as it was a popular theme if I remember rightly :)

But that would mean I would have to go into that jungle to get a photo; can one hire a guide? :)

Seriously, some good ideas coming out - shame there's only 12 months to the year :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
But that would mean I would have to go into that jungle to get a photo; can one hire a guide? :)
If I remember rightly one of the entries was a close up of a plant growing out of brickwork.

No idea if it was taken in a truly urban environment but it fitted the theme beautifully so go find a brick wall Andy and pretend you'd treked into Swansea specially to get the picture.

We'll believe you ;) :lmao:

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Moonlight
Water reflection
That looks like..... (thinking of Ent like trees, rocks that look like something alive)
Self portrait
Green
Fractals
New Growth
Woodland walk

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Getting them listed for ease!

Birds of prey.
Mobile phone, so anyone without equipment can have a go.
Insects.
Trees.
Favourite season.
Weather.
Flight.
Bushcraft.
Light and dark.
Something Christmas themed for December.
Camp sites.
"I like this"
Camp fire
Ancient
Symbiotic relationships.
The lesson: Older generation teaching skill to its young. Any species including human.
Cloudscapes.
Reflections.
'What I Should Have known', or
'They Mostly Come Out At Night', or
'Ever Onward', or
'Treasures'.

What about something really open to interpretation like a letter, a colour and a number. For example you could have "S, blue, 3" and people could post 3 sparrows with a blue sky behind or 3 speedwell flowers or Saturn taken with a 3 second shutter and blue filter.

nature and wildlife in an urban setting
Moonlight
Water reflection
That looks like..... (thinking of Ent like trees, rocks that look like something alive)
Self portrait
Green
Fractals
New Growth
Woodland walk

Reactions: Mesquite

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
How about a photo series showing how something is made, it can be as many photo's as needed, but they show the process, start to finish...

Items adapted from one intended use to another?

Reactions: Toddy

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
How about a photo series showing how something is made,
Interesting and would certainly be educational but that would be a different beast altogether. Maybe a different chain and maybe not a competition, at least not like the pic one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE