Ideas for how to use scrap leather strap ends?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've got an increasing collection of strap ends from when I make belts - short strips of leather 1", 1.25" and 1.5" wide by up to about 6" long. This is very good quality leather (3.5 to 4.0 mm thick, oak tanned bridle leather) so I'm loath to throw it away. With a bridle butt being about 60" long, there's usually a few inches left from each strap once the belt is cut to length.

The strips are too short for wrist bands, and anyway the leather is a bit too thick.

So far, I've made simple key fobs, just a short strip of this leatheer with a bit of stamping, which have been quite popular, but I've got more than enough of these now.

So if anyone has any other ideas of how to use this up...

Thanks.

Geoff

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Leather spacers for a knife is what comes to mind, you'd have to glue the strips together into squares though.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
what i do with all my small scraps is turn them into beads for my sporrans and belt pouches. i just use two sizes of round hole punch. then either leave them as they are or dye and seal them. job done easy beads/toggles. probably not the best use for thick bridle butt leather though

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Thanks. Knife handle sounds good, if I had a knife to handle! Also, with the leather being stuffed with waxes, I'm not sure it would glue together.

Buttons - good idea. Reminded me that I'd used some of it for counters in some traditional games sets that I'd made (3 mens morris sets). Perhaps I'll have to copy the woodland pouches so I have a need for buttons!

Geoff :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Couldn't you use them with more belts you make? Belt loops for tucking the loose end into? Perhaps stamp/carve designs onto them? Attach them to the belt and stitch them so that things can be hooked/attached to them? Sew a couple together to make small pouches for fire steels? Compass protectors in a + shape? Reinforcement straps for packs that take a lot of weight? Simple axe masks that just protect the edge?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE