Ideal Handle Length For 2lb Axe Head

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adbirdy

Oct 12, 2005
West Midlands
Hi All,

As the thread title states really. I have picked up an old axe head marked (after rubbing the rust off) CT Skelton Sheffield with a large 2 stamped into the head as well which I'm guessing is the weight, from the car boot for 50p this morning. I would like to put a new handle in but am unsure as to what length would be the optimum for an axe of this weight?

Any help much appreciated as always

Ade

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Not sure, but I think it's the length from your sternum to the end of your outstretched hand. I'm sure I've read that somewhere, someone will be along soon and put me right. :)

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
I have no idea what length it should be, but it could well depend on how you are going to use it... I do hope you are planning on putting photos of the axehead and the finished axe up. Are you planning on doing the whole handle from scratch or using a bought on for the base and modifying it (no, you can't just put a shop-bought shaft on it and call it a day:p)

adbirdy

Oct 12, 2005
West Midlands
Thought it mightbe a decent size for maybe a camp axe ?? Not too sure really.

Would like to make a handle from scratch but have neither the timber to make it, or the handle to pattern from unfortunately, so I think it will have to be a shop bought job for the moment.

Have had a look and can get 16 inch or maybe go for a 24 inch one for extra swing as i think it is too heavy for one handed use.

Ade

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Thought it mightbe a decent size for maybe a camp axe ?? Not too sure really.

Would like to make a handle from scratch but have neither the timber to make it, or the handle to pattern from unfortunately, so I think it will have to be a shop bought job for the moment.

Have had a look and can get 16 inch or maybe go for a 24 inch one for extra swing as i think it is too heavy for one handed use.

Ade

a 24" or so haft will make the most out of a 2lb head. and with practice its perfectly possible to use one handed...that would make very very good sized axe for camp duty

a 16" haft is certainly do'able. although for me its verging on the heavy side for that size haft......more from personal preference as much as anything else.

HTH.....adam

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
The size of handle you choose depends entirely on the tasks you want to use it for. And to a certain extent the size of the eye of the axe.

You could easily put a 2lb head onto a 12" handle and use it as a carver. Some people I know often prefer a heavier head for carving - myself included, but again this depends on the specific task. For lighter carving I might go for an axe with a lighter head.

If you want a more general axe for chopping and splitting then a longer handle is better - 24" or so is a good length - perhaps even up to 26/27"

2lb is probably a bit light for a full blow felling axe so don't go for a full length handle i.e. 30-36"

Optimal? there really is no such length - its all a trade off one way or another. 18" gives you a reasonable trade off but I'd sway towards a slightly longer handle personally. If you find you don't need the extra length then find a lighter head and fit a hatchet handle.

All the best
Andy

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Experiment and have fun! I've made a crazy "carving" axe from a big old Hults Bruk axe head. The axe weighs probably over 2 kg, it feels close in weight compared to a 2.5 kg iron plate I've got. It got a terrible bite but requires some strength to swing it one handed for some time :). It's to the right in this picture. For a axe head that size I could easily made the handle twice as long but then it would be harder to pack down etc!
1g6cjq.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE