ID the Two Trees?

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I do like a Black Mulberry.
There's quite an old one in the country park I work in which produces loads of fruit. Needless to say, wine has been made, pies baked and myself stained for the last few years.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We did almost all our land could take three years ago - nowadays its only replacements for weed trees we extract - tempting though it is to plant more.

Nice to plant some unusual ones though rather than the uninspired basic hedgerow packs some stick to :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Always nice to be able to. We worked out we broke the 50 tree species barrier this year which made me smile - these two mean we have a species for every week of the year on our little pocket handkerchief.

I hope you have some spindle trees and wayfaring trees in your selections? Both are beauties and native to Sussex

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I do have spindle but the selection was quite limited by the terms of the grant. I'm hoping to plant robinia pseudoacacia (black locust) as well as red oak for the foliage. With global warming, I'll need species for warmer climates - after all, in my lifetime we've pretty much lost elm and ash

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I keep felling out ash here - it self seeds like crazy! We have removed almost all the ones in the wrong places (volunteers). That said, one of the reasons I wanted to plant in some interesting trees was in case we get the ash die back here. When we came here it was mostly ash and elder with blackthorn and willow supporting. Had we lost all the ash it would have taken half the trees.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hello, glad to see your true service's are doing okay, hope the planting is successful and they do well for you. Back in last summer i went to see a group of five of these trees in one small area, a couple were about 8' & 10 feet' tall but others were very tall up to about 50', sadly one of the tall trees though in leaf did not look healthy at all but the others seemed okay. All five of them are direct descendents of the original wild sorb of wyre, they are thought to be planted by Dr. Cadbury, he built a chalet as a retreat to study the local flora and fauna and they are close to that chalet. i have aded some photos below for you (sadly of poor quality as batteries were low and i am a poor photographer anyway, pics of other trees were not of sufficient qualty to add), Best wishes for the future of all of your trees of all varieties.

one of the smaller true service trees in that group about 8'
wyreforestwalk058.jpg

the canopy of same tree
wyreforestwalk081.jpg

the chalet Dr. Cadbury built as a retreat
wyreforestwalk056.jpg

if you look closely you can just make out the tree in first pic at front of chalet (the other trees are close by but not seen in photo)
wyreforestwalk054.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fantastic - thanks Joonsy - great pictures. Mine are but babies yet - even compared to the 8 footer - but I hope to watch them grow at least somewhat in my lifetime :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE