ID the Two Trees?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just for fun, I was planting two new trees today and thought "these would be hard to ID when in leaf - very tricky to ID when just bark and buds can be seen".

So I grabbed a couple of pictures to challenge you

Tree 1

Tree 1 by British Red, on Flickr

Tree 2 (I left one of last years leaves on to help as it is tiny)

Tree 2 by British Red, on Flickr

Anyone care to guess what our two new trees are?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Is one of these one of your special Sorbus? True service tree?

Aaah I talk too much. Yes the bottom 1 is a "True Service" Tree. Its starting to grow so I have planted it out. I have just two of them so I'm going to pot grow the other for a while.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No-one is close on the top one :)

I can see why people think "Rowan" for the bottom one (it is a sorbus, so has that leaf type), I can also see why people think "Ash" for the top one because of the dark buds.

That was part of the reason for posting the pictures - the bottom one (True Service Tree) is one of the rarest trees in Britain, and the top one is pretty uncommon too. But it would be very easy to walk right past them mistaking them for something more common.

If you look at the bark on the trunk of the top one, you will see the bark is wrong for an Ash (indeed we cut down an Ash and ground its stump out to make space for this new addition) :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Aaah I talk too much. Yes the bottom 1 is a "True Service" Tree. Its starting to grow so I have planted it out. I have just two of them so I'm going to pot grow the other for a while.

It is not like me to be paying attention! Still, you did say it was rare, and the bottom one is obviously a sorbus from the leaf shape. Two and two together, plus a memory of an interesting thread previously.

No idea on the top one, so I'll bow out gracefully, unless the straight branches on that first picture mean it is a spindle.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not a prunus, or an aspen :)

I promise everyone will have heard of this one - but not everyone may have seen one

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Is it Morus nigra?

It is indeed - well done

(Black Mulberry for those that don't do Latin names)

Its a decent 6' sapling - but really you plant mulberries for future generations. Gives me a nice feeling to create stained mouths crammed with sweet berries in future generations of kids

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mulberrys are lovely. There is a mature one in a park in luton, it is only one I have ever come across. The tree is just the right shape for even little kids to want to climb and fruit looks like blackberries. Very juicy and sweet.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
It is indeed - well done

(Black Mulberry for those that don't do Latin names)

Its a decent 6' sapling - but really you plant mulberries for future generations. Gives me a nice feeling to create stained mouths crammed with sweet berries in future generations of kids

Thank you. We have one at Wrest Park near me and I always take my kids for a feast from it. There really is nothing more humbling than planting a tree its the best part of my job.

Good luck with your garden and thanks for the thread, my old tutor use to drive me to the brink of madness with ID's.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE