ID please

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi guys, came across this on a walk yesterday, any one know what it is ? had a square stem so defo in the mint family, i looked in my field guide but couldnt see it
S.o.r.r.y about the poor pics, need more macro practice me thinks
Unkownflower.jpg

Unkownflower2.jpg

leon

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
Sorry, definitely clover.

Mint would have opposite and alternate leaves and clover has leaves in a three. The other giveaway is the pale chevron on each leaf.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Clover is part of the pea family,if you look at closely you will see that the flowering head is actually hundreds of individual flowers,a way to recognise the pea family is by the flowers themselves as they all have a banner,wings and keel. Sorry i can,t find a picture to show what i mean, so once you know what to look for you will see that Clover,Vetch,Gorse ect are all part of the pea family by there flowering parts. I will try to get a close up photo to show you what i mean ASAP.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Makes a pretty good tea (with medicinal properties - tho I don,t know what...) leaves make another spinach alternative or as a salad along with the flowers they are quite tasty. Dip the flowers in batter and deep fry them (like elder flowers) for a treat.
John

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
No probs leon,since you now what i mean then theres really no need for the photo. I do think its a great way to learn plant identification as once you know the plants characteristic's by family then its just a matter keying out the individual species.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes it is much easier when you know what family its in because then you can just flick to that family in your book
leon

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Found it - Red Clover tea is full of Oestrogen and good for ladies going through "The Change" - perhaps not so good for young men..........tastes good though!
John

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Have a look at www.etiis.org.uk. Many, many sources of identification; poisonous fungii, invertibrates, plants etc. Amongst the many resources there is a CD-ROM titled 'Animals of the British Isles' for £17.01 and a hybrid DVD-ROM titled 'Interactive Flora of the British Isles-a digital encyclopedia' for £21.67. Not cheap and with the strange prices I'm not sure whether VAT is included. I'm nothing to do with the company & I've only had a look at the site so I can't tell whether the products are any good, the resouces do seem to be aimed at teachers and to be used as teaching aids; this should mean that they're fairly easily navigatable. It's likely that I'll be splashing the cash on the two listed titles & if I do I'll post as to whether they're any good or not. Scratch the last bit - I've just been told 'You are buying it!! Isn't it great when your betterhalf shares your passion of the Great Outdoors - SWMBO:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE