ID please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
one on the right is goose grass if i'm not mistaken, does it stick to you? no idea about the others although i've seen them many a time, not sure about them being pignut, but then i've never seen one close up.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Goosegrass or cleavers on the right (which is edible, but not brilliant).

SoloBoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2005
Liverpool
Yes it is sticky,Is this the little fella which produces those sticky bobs,the ones we used to throw at each other when we were kids ??

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Really difficult to tell with the one on the left - I might hazard a guess that its mugwort, or at least a member of the artemisia family - does it have a scent at all? If so, artemisia members tend to smell kinda spicy or medicinal. I don't think its pignut, as this tends to have a single straight stem with quite fine feathery leaves.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/souvigne/correze/images/pignut.jpg

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Left to right. Cow Parsley, Yarrow and Cleavers. These are not positive ids as I can't see the full plant.
You need to positively id all plants before using. Cow Parley is easily mixed up with Hemlock and other poisonous plants. You need to buy a field guide and an edible plant guide and get out there and study. And then double check before you eat anything, you could end up with a bad case of dead if you eat the wrong thing. Start off with common stuff like Nettle and Hawthorn leaves, both are easy to find and id. Both can eaten raw and are delish...

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
I agree with the above, although I wouldn't dare say it was def. cow parsley. Yarrow or Achilae (sp?) and cleavers.

Apparently a tea of cleavers is meant to refine the skin leaving you so beautiful everyone who looks at you will fall in love with you.

Ben

Jul 6, 2006
Sussex
hawthorn is good raw, but nettles???

i have never heard of eatingt hem raw before
can you please tell me how one would go about removing the stingers

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I love goose grass.... but not to eat ;)

Its the only member of the coffee family that grows like crazy in the UK. It contains caffine so acts as a metabolic stimulant... just like coffee. You can make an excellent bush coffee from the round seeds/sticky balls... dry roasted they give a lovely nutty aroma... lightly roasted / dark roasted / mixed blend .... it all tastes good.....

ummmmm
:D
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE